What's new

Selling collectable coins for more than silver value???

StevoCBR

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
541
Reaction score
39
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all I am wondering if any of you have been trying to, or are selling collector coins and what you finding the market is bearing for a collector coin worth more than it's silver content? Thanks for your response, I would like to hear from all you on what the market is right now on the numismatic side.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!
 
Upvote 0
If you'd like an indication of the market, watch Ebay. You will get a very good idea of the value of collector coins. Personally, I have not sold, I have only purchased coins there.
 
I'll be using this thread to learn from as well.

When you do use ebay as a guide, it is very important to look at the completed sales. Completed sales are where it is all at.

If you just look at the current listings, you'll see people who have a common penny that is literally worth one cent....but they have it listed for $125.
 
Thanks I do indeed watch feebay some and seems like what I watch is commanding descent prices but seems like my local market is not like that. So trying to get more feedback on what if anything everybody is seeing locally. Because if it seems dry every where that would be a indicator of outside the US bidders grabbing up our coins. Thanks for your responses and look forward
 
StevoCBR said:
Thanks I do indeed watch feebay some and seems like what I watch is commanding descent prices but seems like my local market is not like that. So trying to get more feedback on what if anything everybody is seeing locally. Because if it seems dry every where that would be a indicator of outside the US bidders grabbing up our coins. Thanks for your responses and look forward
Who exactly is your local market? If by that, you mean your local dealer, always expect less. Most dealers tend to offer deflated prices on collectible coins, they are in business to make a profit and pay the rent, of course. A coin show may at times offer better prices buying or selling. Craig'slist.....ugggghhhh!
 
Who exactly is your local market? If by that, you mean your local dealer, always expect less. Most dealers tend to offer deflated prices on collectible coins, they are in business to make a profit and pay the rent, of course. A coin show may at times offer better prices buying or selling. Craig'slist.....ugggghhhh!

Thanks, I'm talking about several dealers in my home town and some different dealers at local shows.
 
If you have a local auction house, look into their services. The fees are equivalent to eBay with less work. I don't have to worry about shipping and collecting payment. I sell common wheaties (40's and 50's) in 300 count lots. I routinely get 8-10 cents per. Selling on eBay, I would be lucky to get 3-4 cents per. Common date morgans (1921) sell $35 (circulated) to $45 and above if frosty. It is unreal.
 
Go to the forum for PCGS and you'll get a lot of people who discuss collectable coin issues.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom