FLauthor:
24 karat gold - 100% Au - pure gold, very soft and very easily bent, too soft for jewelry.
Therefore the gold is alloyed with silver, copper, nickel or zinc:
22 karat gold - 91.7% Au - still too soft for most jewelry
18 karat gold - 75.0% Au - for fine jewelry, the best for beauty and durability
14 karat gold - 58.3% Au - OK for jewelry but the gold is of a duller color
12 karat gold - 50.0% Au - not OK for most western jewelry
10 karat gold - 41.7% Au - legal limit for 'real' gold in USA
Copper is alloyed with gold to create rose gold.
Silver is alloyed with gold to create a Yellow gold
Nickle is alloyed to gold to create White gold.
Most likely several different metals are alloyed with gold to create the desired effect.
Recyclers are able to pay 95% to 98% of the spot price of pure gold (24K), as they are getting the alloyed metals
for free, which increases their profit margin.
I tell people who sell their gold to pawn shops even those who pay top dollar that they may as well threw their money down a rat hole. I imagine ARA Gold is where the pawn shops sell their gold for those big payouts. ARA says they make their money from the silver that is refined from the gold. I didn't know there was any silver in gold but I could be wrong.