Seth Thomas 1850-1860 Half Column Clock

engine823

Dec 30, 2017
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this isn't a dug find but still a find in my book. I'm excited about it and wanted to share with everyone. It was made in Plymouth Hollow Conn. by Seth Thomas. The partial paper inside the cock as well as the movement say Plymouth Hollow Conn. which dates it prior to 1860. It has a metal hand painted dial and also a hand painted glass. This type of half column clock was made from 1850-1860 with the Plymouth Hollow marking. Unfortunately the exact street address is missing on the partial paper inside the clock or I may have been able to date it to a certain year.
I'm dropping it off tuesday to a clock smith and having the movement totally overhauled and putting it in working order. From there it will be a center piece of my living room!
I love the clock. Pre Civil War, made either in President Taylor, Pierce or Buchanan's terms in office. The history of the piece to me makes it invaluable.
Enjoy
Also it will run even before I have it worked on but only for a few minutes. The chime side though works fine as is. :hello2:
clock 1.jpg clock 2.jpg clock 3.jpg

Upvote 7

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good. Is it 8 day or 30 hour? Shouldn't take too much to get it restored. Maybe some bushing work and cleaning and oiling. That movement is fairly easy to work on. I have restored many like it. Nice find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old clock! :occasion14:

OP
OP
E

engine823

Dec 30, 2017
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good. Is it 8 day or 30 hour? Shouldn't take too much to get it restored. Maybe some bushing work and cleaning and oiling. That movement is fairly easy to work on. I have restored many like it. Nice find.

Its a 30 hour weight clock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread