Several Hunts In One Post

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Busy lately hunting alot of spots as I am trying to get them all in before the icy Winter comes and puts the lid on the hobby for the season.
Great exercise and plenty of sun--who could ask for more.
Whatever I got here--I worked for.
My first stop an old yard from a home built in 1890-1900.
090212.JPG

Had been dying to do this yard for over a year. I had gotten the invitation from a friend, and I would have bet money I was walking away with at least 5 silver from here.
NO GO! Could not believe it. :BangHead: Either someone owned a detector and lived here, or they are all masked by heavy iron that was in the ground. Only could muster 3 wheats from the 40's and 50's.
The yard was about an 1/8th acre as well...so was quite sizable in detecting standards. I am going to try next year with a different machine and smaller coil. I will DEFINITELY compare the results once I do and post here. I have to say as well... the soil was dry as desert. So...who knows. Will try in the Spring with wet conditions, smaller coil, and different machine.

Next stop in the detecting timeline-- an older park that was established in the early 1900's:
090512.JPG

Managed 2 wheats and what looks to be an 1891 indian (as I don't think it is 1881)---very worn and just under some leaves about 3 inches down.
The one wheat is in the 1910-1919 range. Some clad...and that is it. Might be heading back there today to look about some more. ;)

The next hunt--same deal---Early 1900's Pounded To Death Park:

090512b.JPG

The clad mat was overwhelming. I will seriously go back there and clean up when I get some time. But, really could not get any depth. Managed one wheat. If there is anything left there it is laying real low.

Been meaning to do this ballfield for 5 months. An Old Ballfield That Dates Back To The Late 1880's:
090912.JPG
And, man I tried everything here. Scored a wheat right of the bat :laughing7:. So...I was thinking . o O {I got a winnner here}O o . --Well--no go.
I worked even aside the road where they all would have parked. 3 hours total. Only 2 wheats to show. Oh, well...never give up.

Off again--Old Church Grove from a site that dates back to 1770ish:
91012a.jpg
Finally managed a silver piece (1946 rosie). I had to say I was a bit discouraged at first. You can tell it was "modernized". Also, the original church burnt down, the next one struck by lightning and burnt down, and then they finally built a brick one (:sign13:). I could see the various soils (the old parking lot) and the char-line where the originals burned at various sections. Surprisngly, the marl on this property was astoundingly shallow and I found both the buffalo and the silver at around the 4 inch range. There was also a clayish section too on the property--so various soil consistencies. Anyway, I guess it passed the perc test.:laughing7: The earring feels too light to be a true emerald, so am writing it off as a junker (however the setting may be silver--don't know).

And, here we go again....One Of My Favorite Parks For Clad...And, It's and Old Park From The 20's:
091012b.JPG

Well, managed all this in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Was looking for a silver piece. Ended up with another Kennedy half and a wheat cent, as well as several quarters.

Got some time today to kill----Now...I just have to pick a place. Later all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
You are just tearing it up!!!!!!!! Good job. Tennessee digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions