What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Several questions

smr1000

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
190
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
nokta legend
I spent the day at a mid-1800s home today. Found items mainly from then up to the mid-1900s. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of the first photo. I can convince myself that that flowers are creating the number '23,' but not sure if that makes sense. It's solid and was pretty deep. It's old, and I would love to figure it out. Similarly, I was curious as to the different sizes of the harmonica reeds. Is there a way to determine information based on the number of holes. Along those lines, is it possible to determine the age of the tap spigot. It was such a fun day, and I'd love to learn more. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4554.webp
    IMG_4554.webp
    799.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4555.webp
    IMG_4555.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4556.webp
    IMG_4556.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
Interesting finds. Without seeing a photo of the other side of the first and knowing its size, I'd guess (part of) a sash buckle. At first glance I see a "23" - but...
 
Upvote 0
I spent the day at a mid-1800s home today. Found items mainly from then up to the mid-1900s. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of the first photo. I can convince myself that that flowers are creating the number '23,' but not sure if that makes sense. It's solid and was pretty deep. It's old, and I would love to figure it out. Similarly, I was curious as to the different sizes of the harmonica reeds. Is there a way to determine information based on the number of holes. Along those lines, is it possible to determine the age of the tap spigot. It was such a fun day, and I'd love to learn more. Thank you!
I did see, grasp with my eyes the number 23, but a few seconds before that I saw 2 ducks or other birds walking and with their heads tilted down.....
 
Upvote 0
First item we need to see the backside also.
Could be a brooch, Sash buckle, Rosette.
Nice digs.
Haven't seen the lower type of harmonica reed before, interesting.
The tap is a early type.
 
Upvote 0
Similar to a harness rosette for horse rigging. What does the other side look like?

Harmonicas weren’t really made to any rigid industry specifications. I’ve see tiny ones with 3 or 4 holes and some with 12 or more. 10 seeming to be the most common. The dimensions of the comb/reed plate vary as well; some being wider front-to-back. There were also similar reed plates in accordions, but they were often larger.
 
Upvote 0
Your small reed is from a 5-hole (10 note) mini harmonica, and judging by its size, it's probably a Hohner.
 
Upvote 0
I spent the day at a mid-1800s home today. Found items mainly from then up to the mid-1900s. Wondering if anyone has any ideas of the first photo. I can convince myself that that flowers are creating the number '23,' but not sure if that makes sense. It's solid and was pretty deep. It's old, and I would love to figure it out. Similarly, I was curious as to the different sizes of the harmonica reeds. Is there a way to determine information based on the number of holes. Along those lines, is it possible to determine the age of the tap spigot. It was such a fun day, and I'd love to learn more. Thank you!
If you could get a better pic of that first item, without the shadowed parts, maybe take it under direct light .. I see a bunch of sworles but can't really see anything else.. too dark..
 
Upvote 0
WHeqn you take pictures please take of both sides Also a good idea is to lay something next to it so we can get an idea of size.
Hang in there buddy you will get there :)Rome was not built in a day :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom