What's new

Sharing the knowledge

triplehooked

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
70
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to metal detecting, just starting this summer. But I've owned four detectors (all quality brands) and have found clad, silver, and some relics in a variety of places.....beaches, school yards, tot lots, etc.... So when I read an ad in the local small town paper looking for an "experienced" metal detectorist, I thought that I could at least act like I know what I'm doing. I mean, I do have a MXT, and a Lesche, that's half way there, right? :laughing9: Anyways, I called the number and talked with a gruff older gentleman who was having a hard time finding anything with his Classic III. He was looking for someone to help him check out an older home in town on a double lot which he had permission to hunt. I had to laugh, as he made it clear up front that he's not paying anyone to come out and hunt! Turns out his wife passed away not long ago and he picked up a metal detector for a new hobby, but didn't quite learn how it worked. Well, we met up at his place, and I threw some coins on the ground to get his settings right and make sure his detector was working properly, then we set off for the house. We didn't strike it rich, but found some cool stuff. Sprinkler head, spark plug, an old shovel, odds and ends, two wheaties, and about 50c in clad. But it did the heart good to see that grizzled old man look up and smile as he pulled a piece of what not from the ground. A smile that I'm sure hasn't crossed his face in quite a while. Now I'm as busy as the next guy. Married, four kids (three of which are triplets, ie triplehooked), job, school, etc... But I found it just as thrilling as a 50's rosie dime to know I helped someone who could really use it. We only hit a small part of that place, I'll post more as we get out again. Maybe even some pics if the fella doesn't mind. Sorry to ramble, but this was a good time, just thought I'd share. Time to go, got huntin' to do!
 
Thanks for sharing your time and your wisdom with someone who sounds like they really needed it.

He won't forget you, and you won't forget him either.

Good job!

You make all of us look good.

Bob
 
If acts of kindness could be put on the banner I would nominate you! Don't be surprised if God shines on you with treasures you can't even imagine :icon_sunny:
 
Thanks all, I'm not really sure what a banner is even. I just thought it was kind of cool to get that guy out hunting. Maybe someone will read this and do something similar in their neck of the woods......
 
I'd say you helped him and helped yourself at the same time. You probably have a very good hunting partner now who can go whenever you can!
 
And that is a great story for me to start my day with. You remind me of the saying that was around about 15 years ago...

"Commit Random Acts of Senseless Kindness"

:headbang:
 
midnightmoon said:
And that is a great story for me to start my day with. You remind me of the saying that was around about 15 years ago...

"Commit Random Acts of Senseless Kindness"

:headbang:

Great line to remember :icon_thumleft:
 
ThTx said:
I'd say you helped him and helped yourself at the same time. You probably have a very good hunting partner now who can go whenever you can!
Not only that - but get him to tell you stories! If he's lived there awhile then you might even get some treasure leads. Good job on reaching out - pay it forward usually works.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom