Sharing turf by the surf, but I still came home with silver...

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With schools back in session and most family vacations over for the season, I decided it would be perfect time to hit one of my favorite beaches in semi-solitude. When I arrived, I discovered two other detectorists working the area I had in mind. (Next time I will either beat them with a shovel, or get there earlier...and I'm not known for my punctuality...) Rather than follow behind or try to work between them, I went to an area that is not as popular with the beachgoers, but has still produced a few good items for me in the past. In all, I got in just under three hours of hunting before the tide started rolling back in. Below is a pic of all of my finds, minus the trash.

All Finds.jpg

My first jewelry find was a momentary heart-stopper, until I looked at the back of the pendant and discovered it was only gold-plated copper. I cleaned it up a bit using my Andre's Pencils set just for the fun of practicing with them. (I didn't clean it up entirely, because it stopped being fun.)

Plated Pendant Pre-Cleaning.jpg Plated Pendant Post-Cleaning.jpg

I did, however, find two silver rings, which were very tarnished by their time in the saltwater. The one on the left below is a counterfeit Louis Vuitton, as evidenced by the mediocre craftsmanship, including the glaring resizing cut and solder. Once cleaned, I had to use a jeweler's loupe to read the markings inside the band, which read "MEX 925". It did test as above 90% silver, though, and weighed in at 8.6 grams. The ring on the right was marked "MSK Sterling" and weighed 6 grams. I have no idea who the maker is, so feel free to chime in on that if you're so inclined. I did also find one silver coin - a 1952 USA dime, the detail of which was horribly corroded and pitted by the saltwater. (But hey, it's still more silver!) As always, thanks for taking the time to look!

Silver Rings Pre-Cleaning.jpg
LV Ring Post-Cleaning.jpg MSK Ring Post-Cleaning.jpg

I also found a 1942 wheat penny, but I put that information down here, because if you're still taking time to read this post instead of looking at the amazing relics and coins that everyone else is posting, you kinda deserve it. :-)

Upvote 27
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ! Three silvers is an excellent hunt .

Thanks! It's only the second time I've found three silvers in one hunt, so I was happy!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. I like the silver. Well done. Congrats

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So that's where all the good finds are. Nice day.Congrats :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that's where all the good finds are. Nice day.Congrats :icon_thumright:

LOL! I literally had NOTHING to post from several recent hunts at various east coast beaches, so this was an unusual and appreciated day for me.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Wheatie?!? WooHoo!!! 🙌🙌🙌
😛

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the silver :skullflag:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you got quite a bit of chump change to pay for the gas and if you fish, you won't have to purchase any sinkers for some time. Congrats!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I liked the last line best....U FUNNY! Grats on the decent success!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread