What's new

Sharpening stone found in Alberta

Leolion

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, My 6 year old son would like to be a geologist, so we went on a rock hunt at a quarry in Lacombe, Alberta. Apparently mammoth bones were found there a week before! Anyhow, we found this treasure, it appears to be a sharpening stone. I would really appreciate if anyone has more information about this find!

Thanks so much,
Jodie

tool3.webp
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet Leo. JMO if it was a sharping stone it would have to been after contact, I believe it is a abrader stone for knapping points just from what I see in the photo. Nice find:icon_thumleft:
 
I'd have to agree, an abrading stone,
 
Thank you so much for the feedback!! What is an abrader stone? How old do you think this is? We are very new to this!! THanks again:)
 
I have to think abrading stones have been around just about as long as they have been knapping flint, dating would be tough.

They were used to dull the razor sharp edges during knapping, so a decent size flake could be removed during the reduction process. Razor sharp edges, will just let one remove tiny pieces the way I see it.
 
Abraders had a few uses, shaft straighteners and when making arrowheads and other stone hunting objects. Points need to be abraded when flaking chert to make into points. The edges need to be beefed up to prevent the edge from crushing so the flake will run farther.

Ask the question on google, what is an abrader for flint knapping and you should get a complete answer .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom