What's new

Sharpening Stone

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
1,593
Reaction score
1,670
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I found this stone in the woods atop a small ridge in NE Ohio, it was next to a metal target I was digging and was about 5" deep.....I kept it because of its odd shape and it looks to be purposely cracked in half and the unusual scars /gouges on the rounded side of the stone. Some lines are vertical, horizontal and diagonal. My father has found arrowheads in the family field when they plowed it about 200 yards away. ...do you think this could have been used as a sharpening stone? The stone is dense for its size. I know very little about American Indian artifacts and their tools. Thanks for looking and your thoughts. ...



ForumRunner_20140814_223032.webp



ForumRunner_20140814_223053.webp
 
Upvote 0
I am not sure Tedyoh ? I have found similar looking rocks in some of the plowed fields I hunt, and always assumed that because of the depth and random nature of the lines that they were plow marks? Any chance that rock was once in a plowed field?
 
Thanks red....no I would not think that area was ever plowed. .. this was found in a very mature forest...huge 150+ year old trees....was it plowed in the late 1700's I do not know....i wouldnt think so....the town isnt that ...thanks again.
 
To me it looks more like a grinding base. The grinding part where they would of ground something is where your fingers are. That flat section. Show both sides of it if you don't mind.
 
It does look like an abrading or sharpening stone; however, I've seen agricultural equipment cause the same affects in plowed fields. Was that area ever plowed? If not, it probably was an abrading stone.
 
Thanks guys....I don't not think the area was ever plowed. ..I meant to say in the earlier response that the town isnt that old....Rock...I'm not sure which side you wanted a picture of so here's a few more....the flat or broken side is slightly concave but not super smooth. ...any other angles let me know...thanks again



ForumRunner_20140815_180656.webp



ForumRunner_20140815_180758.webp



ForumRunner_20140815_180842.webp
 
Anyway of getting clearer pics like taking them outside? You never want to put your item on the same color. They just blend to much. I don't want to say I see a dimple just yet.
 
Sure....thanks again. ..anything else let me know....found in the woods in the background. ..200 yards in....points found in the field in background

ForumRunner_20140815_200013.webp



ForumRunner_20140815_200108.webp



ForumRunner_20140815_200153.webp



ForumRunner_20140815_200217.webp
 
It has a good shape to it. Just guessing but could of been a anvil on one side and a sharpening stone on the other. Thanks for the pics. Its a tough color to see.
 
Thank you!
 
One last question. ...what would the anvil side be used for?
 
I believe it is for making stone tools. Like a platform. After they made them then they could of flipped the stone to sharpen them.
 
Thanks Rock and everyone for the thoughts. ...I may have to screen a bit up there. ...it's one of the highest points on the small ridge.....I'd live there if I had to...
 
Does it have a dimple like this one I found? Mine is square but if it is used for the same type of thing there should be a use mark on it.
 

Attachments

  • SDC11046.webp
    SDC11046.webp
    653 KB · Views: 228
One tiny one...on the rounded side with the gouges. ...about the size of a pencil eraser...tad smaller and an eight inch deep
 
I might be wrong then. But at least I gave it a shot.
 
It does look like an abrading or sharpening stone; however, I've seen agricultural equipment cause the same affects in plowed fields. Was that area ever plowed? If not, it probably was an abrading stone.

As Matt says a abrading stone. He knows his stuff
 
I appreciate everyone's thoughts! Thanks...
 
He didn't say anything for sure...he said.... And I agree... It looks like an abrading stone.
Maybe... I would look for more "sign" in the area...try opening up that hole at that level.

ForumRunner_20140815_212231.webp
 
I hear ya....only for sure thing is my death one day and paying taxes every year. ..I did a few other odd shaped stones on the opposite side of that ridge...the one looked like a perfectly cylindrical red clayish in color pencil shaped soft rock thing...about 2 inches long....wish I would have kept it. Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom