Shaw / Veranda Carpet for sluice box?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just emailed the Admins. about selling Shaw carpet ( veranda style) to the membership thru the classifieds. Would like to know if there is any kind of interest if they allow me to do this. There are two outstanding colors, bright green and bright blue that I could offer that would be excellent for sluice boxes. I would offer various sizes possibly 12x12, 12x18,12x24,and 12x36 with custom sizes too. Don't have any details as far as price w shipping but wanted to throw it out there to see if there is any interest. Got to see what the big guys say.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russau You are correct you should be able to orderShaw/Veranda at any carpet store. I have contacted several carpet dealers in myarea looking for this very style. One has it as a regular line the others saythey can order it. The catch is the ones that don’t carry it normally chargemore per sq. ft./yd. and have minimum size of your order. I have found you can’t just order a 12 x12 or what ever smallsize you may need . I did order a sample that is 18 x 20. Almost all dealers carpet stock is a min. of12”wide rolls. Not many will order a 12”x12 ft long piece for you unless maybeyou know somebody or they will charge you accordingly. My hope was to order aquantity of the two colors I think are great for this application (bright greenand bright blue) and be able to offer cut to sizes to anyone interested. Givethem a decent price and maybe make a little money on the side. Obviously if Ican’t buy it, cut it, ship it, and make something for my time it wouldn’t beworth my time. There may be others out there that do this but I have doneinternet searches that has not shown any results. I am recently retired andlooking for a way to make a little cash to fund this fever you all got mehooked on (LOL) and if I can offer a good sluice carpet to this group then whynot give it a try.
Russae the backing you spoke of, is it a rubber typethat completely seals off the bottom fibers, cause this sample that I looked at, you can still see the carpetfibers in color and texture on the backside but there is something that seems to bind everything together but it isall but transparent. I will try to put some pic’s up of the color samples whenI can.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i was just trying to give everyone a idea on where to aquire this carpet. i already have it in my over/under 4 inch dredge and really like it. John "Hoser" Oates gave this carpet to me and i really like it. im glad someone is going to try to offer it to us all at a reasonable price. and heck yes, i agree with you, if you cant make some proffit, why bother!! and the answer to your last question is: yep, theres somesort of glue like binder on the back of it ,but not anything thats thick.i used this carpet in my dredge last year while dredgeing on the Arkansa River in Colorado,and it trped the fine stuff from there.im happy with it! Thanks John!!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it sells for $1.20 a square foot. Don't see much profit selling 2 to 4 square feet at a time :dontknow:

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thought this would have been received a bit different.GG a few sq. ft. is all that thetypical recreational sluice box requires. Like I mentioned. there’s not manycarpet businesses you can walk in a say hey give me 2 sq. ft of this or that.Maybe if they have scrap or remnant of the exact style and color you want, theymay cut and sell you a small piece. And yes you are absolutely right “Not gonnaget rich” selling sluice carpet out of my garage on the internet, LOL, but Ithink people here understand (most) of us are not going to get rich prospectingfor gold either. Guess your really selling a service to someone more so than aproduct. A good replacement sluice carpet, cut to your specs and your color,shipped to your door anywhere in the continental US. What’s this worth?
In researching this more I couldn’t find anyone selling ShawVeranda in this manner, even on Flea-bay. Oh well may be a pipe dream. Thanksfor the responses Craig

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
your right about the accessability of this carpet and you offering it in smaller peices is a plus for the guy who just wants to fit his sluice/dredge with it without buying a larger peice then haveing to store it untill some finds out he has it. like i said, i like my Veranda carpet by Shaw!i would like to do a comparrison between it and the Votex carpet, but its so darned expensive in comparison, it just priced itself right out of my ability to buy it for a test!even if its as good as they say!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vortex mat (rough top conveyer belt) is awesome Russ!

I just returned from Salt Creek where I was using it on the "Hoosier Gold Daddy" - my latest equipment design, incorporating a vibrating wash plant utilizing a folded system of classifying screens funneling into a system of folded sluices with a gold trap at each end. (similar to a gold cube which also uses vortex mat) The vortex mat did its job exactly as advertized. The constant agitation of material in the mat trapping the heavies while sending the light material on it's merry way just has to be seen to be appreciated.

For trapping 1/8" gold all the way down to micro gold and ease of clean up, the vortex mat is great!
I highly recommend it! As for price...... The worth far outweighs the cost.

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thought this would have been received a bit different.GG a few sq. ft. is all that thetypical recreational sluice box requires. Like I mentioned. there’s not manycarpet businesses you can walk in a say hey give me 2 sq. ft of this or that.Maybe if they have scrap or remnant of the exact style and color you want, theymay cut and sell you a small piece. And yes you are absolutely right “Not gonnaget rich” selling sluice carpet out of my garage on the internet, LOL, but Ithink people here understand (most) of us are not going to get rich prospectingfor gold either. Guess your really selling a service to someone more so than aproduct. A good replacement sluice carpet, cut to your specs and your color,shipped to your door anywhere in the continental US. What’s this worth?
In researching this more I couldn’t find anyone selling ShawVeranda in this manner, even on Flea-bay. Oh well may be a pipe dream. Thanksfor the responses Craig

:icon_thumright:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were going to do it as a business venture.
I do think there would be a market for the carpet, just not enough sales volume to be lucrative.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
GG your probly right as far as its peformance VRS. cost. i really would like to try some of this vortex mat in a comparison test, but the cost still keeps me from getting any of it!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Goody, Did you take that ole wore out truck driver with ya. Hope the two of you had a good outing and the cleanup put a smile on your muggs.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goody, Did you take that ole wore out truck driver with ya. Hope the two of you had a good outing and the cleanup put a smile on your muggs.

Yep! It was a great time and plenty of color. :icon_thumright:
I'll call you tonite with the details.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG your probly right as far as its peformance VRS. cost. i really would like to try some of this vortex mat in a comparison test, but the cost still keeps me from getting any of it!

Russ what size do you need? I know somebody who knows someone. :wink:
GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
pinch me! is it Christmass?? i need 1 peice 19 1/2 wide by 54 inchs long.this is my exact measurements that i need. as i understand, there are several different Vortex mattings. just like the Veranda carpet has two types (backed and unbacked) but the Vortex is a conveyor belt material so im not sure what the difference would be if any?? and be sure to thank that "somebody"!!just let me know what the cost would be!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinch me! is it Christmass?? i need 1 peice 19 1/2 wide by 54 inchs long.this is my exact measurements that i need. as i understand, there are several different Vortex mattings. just like the Veranda carpet has two types (backed and unbacked) but the Vortex is a conveyor belt material so im not sure what the difference would be if any?? and be sure to thank that "somebody"!!just let me know what the cost would be!

It would come 20" wide and would be 54" long. I'll pm you with the cost (no obligation) you decide if fair price or not.
Actually it's the black vortex mat with a slightly wider riffle and slightly deeper pockets than mine. (I like it better)

GG~

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several carpet 'outlets' around the mills in/near Dalton Ga. where many of the carpet mills are located. One such place is called Carpet Express. They have a website and they sell online. You should try emailing them or give them a call. Shaw Carpet Prices and Styles | 30-50% Off Retail Prices They carry Veranda style carpet, which is actually a "Philidelphia carpet" (one of Shaws brand names). The backing you are referring to is called a unitary backing, basically it is a latex backing without any laminated secondary backing material. For the most part, carpet is manufactured in 12' widths (also 13, 13.5,15 and a few specialties in 6) which is why you would need to buy it with at least that amount of width. Every 9 inch length by 12 foot wide measurement equals 1 sq. yd. of carpet. 9 sq. ft. = 1 sq.yd. One option you may want to try if you have to order a minimum amount and you have too much leftover is try offering it to a local gold club if there is one. I've been in the flooring industry for 25 years+ and i've ordered as little as a 1 f x 12 piece before when needed for making a border on a custom area rug (just 1 example) so I would think you wouldn't have a problem ordering the length you need, except it will be 12 feet wide. Hope this helps.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
good post! another thing to think about is that some/most carpet is directional, and you need to ask/keep that in mind when ordering/installing this into a sluice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread