What's new

Shell Artifacts

  • Thread starter Thread starter archaeon
  • Start date Start date
A

archaeon

Guest
Here are some shell artifact surface finds from local shoreline middens.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 044 (Small).webp
    Picture 044 (Small).webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 659
  • beadinsitu3.webp
    beadinsitu3.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 617
  • beadinsitu2.webp
    beadinsitu2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 641
  • celtcase.webp
    celtcase.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 623
  • BM 005.webp
    BM 005.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 648
  • bighammer.webp
    bighammer.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 607
  • Picture 049 (Small).webp
    Picture 049 (Small).webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 628
  • Picture 048 (Small).webp
    Picture 048 (Small).webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 618
  • Picture 047 (Small).webp
    Picture 047 (Small).webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 644
  • Picture 046 (Small).webp
    Picture 046 (Small).webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 625
  • Picture 045 (Small).webp
    Picture 045 (Small).webp
    28 KB · Views: 646
  • BM 005.webp
    BM 005.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 621
  • case3.webp
    case3.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 628
  • celtcase.webp
    celtcase.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 586
  • beadinsitu2.webp
    beadinsitu2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 621
  • beadinsitu3.webp
    beadinsitu3.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 608
  • bighammer.webp
    bighammer.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 632
  • Picture 049 (Small).webp
    Picture 049 (Small).webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Picture 048 (Small).webp
    Picture 048 (Small).webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 618
  • Picture 047 (Small).webp
    Picture 047 (Small).webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 633
  • Picture 046 (Small).webp
    Picture 046 (Small).webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 633
  • Picture 045 (Small).webp
    Picture 045 (Small).webp
    28 KB · Views: 647
  • Picture 044 (Small).webp
    Picture 044 (Small).webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 641
Upvote 0
Looks like you have a fossil garfish

ForumRunner_20141215_133805.webp

scale in there
 
Neat. I thought it was a piece of carved shell meant to resemble a leaf or something. Its got enamel notched off all intricately. Makes sense though-oso creek where I found it has gators and probably gar too
 
The ones I have are many thousands of years old and fossilized I'm not sure if yours are they have been found on Native American sites.. I'm pretty sure many were remains of meals but I think some were also used as tools
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom