What's new

shell fossil

Glenn C

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
422
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Came across this in a river. Not sure what they are called. Thought I'd share. Has anyone ever cut them open and can you pay to get this done? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140804_140612.webp
    ForumRunner_20140804_140612.webp
    127.9 KB · Views: 138
I don't know all the scientific terms... but that is a snail.. a large one at that.
Here are some of mine.
fossils 013.webpfossils 014.webpfossils 018.webp
 
I don't know all the scientific terms... but that is a snail.. a large one at that.
Here are some of mine.

You should learn some more scientific terms, outdoorfun. Here are a couple of terms which are important in this thread: gastropod and cephalopod. You have gastropod casts; Glenn C has a cephalopod cast.
 
Thanks rock nerds. Jk.

Thank you. I'm hoping to find more but is a river walk.
Glenn

Here is a couple branch fossils and a few more form the same spot. Is there a better way to break down the organic white buildup on it other than using mineral oil. It is the only option I have read.

Thank you in advance.
IMG_20141117_193630.webp
 
Last edited:
LOL... yeah, I should... eventually.
I just don't get all technical... I am usually out kayaking and other fun, and finding these as I go... not making time for all that. I did learn them in school... LONG time ago, but of course forgot because it wasn't super important... ;)
I'm just here to have fun when I can. Just found this site, and y'all can make fun of me if ya want. Doesn't bother me at all...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom