Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week i'm working on a project on a battlefield where heavy fighting took place in November 1944. Sorry no details on location. Equipped with original maps drawn in the field back then the front line has to be confirmed with detecting finds. Looking for KIAs as well as there are some still missing of the company who fought there. Two were found on a dig in 2012.

Foggy and rainy, nearly the same weather like in 1944. The field was split in sections with barrier tape.
27108262ch.jpg

Loads of shrapnel, fuze frags, driving band frags, .50 cal. casings were found when i had an overload signal under the coil. Just under the surface iron wrapped in rubber. First thought was tank track, but then i thought i was wrong finding such a big piece after all that time. My first thought was right. Two sections of a Sherman Tracks showed up! Looks like the T51 Flat non-reversible rubber treads.
27108264gy.jpg

27108265at.jpg

UXO turned up too, bomb disposal unit was on the way when i left. 4.2" Mortar Round....
27108266li.jpg

We had nice bystanders too
27108267it.jpg

Upvote 29
I like how you mounted the pinpointer.

That piece of track would test a finds pouch!
Interesting hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Great write up. That sounded like a very exciting dig! Cheers

all that history right under your feet!

And I thought it was a T51 Reversible rubber tread!
I kid, that is some impressive knowledge. I'm a huge WW2 history buff, and the thought
of being able to actually detect at sites where the war happened would thrill me to no end.
You always manage to have great posts and finds, keep it up!
Kudos!
Carl

And I thought it was a T51 Reversible rubber tread!
I kid, that is some impressive knowledge. I'm a huge WW2 history buff, and the thought
of being able to actually detect at sites where the war happened would thrill me to no end.
You always manage to have great posts and finds, keep it up!
Kudos!
Carl

Thanks Carl!
I'm still unconfident if it's a thrill or sacrilege to detect these sites. After all it's bloody soil where people died for politicans instead of become friends.

At least it's a chance to bring the ones home who are still out there.

I would love to hunt sites like that....I wish that I was in MD when I was stationed in Germany

Interesting Lu. When they detected Custer's battle of the Little Bighorn after a wildfire cleared out the area, they were able to follow the flow of battle. Skirmish lines etc.. Are you able to do the same here? Good luck.

That is amazing the anticipation would almost be unbareable best of luck to you Please keep sharing your finds

why just read about history when you can DIG IT! congrats!!!!!!!!

WEST FRONT WERE DID YOU FIND THE PICTURE OF DONALD TRUMP, BUT KINDA LOOKS LIKE HILARY , NICE FIND .

Interesting, looks like fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back