Shield Button & Republica Mexicana Mystery Items Found In Cape Cod

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some relics that were found on a site that dates back to the 1780's. I was wondering how old both finds date back to and what the history is behind each of them. I've seen "Republica Mexicana" coins online with the same face but this one doesn't have a back. It even has a rigid border like a coin, so I don't know what it is. Thanks for the help!

115_0492.JPG 115_0493.JPG
115_0494.JPG 115_0497.JPG

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure that the Fleur De Lis bade looking thingy is actually a leather strap end. Here are some others that have been found over the years:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.24.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.24.30 PM.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The size and design of the Mexican coin (?) is equal to a one peso coin minted between 1898 and 1909. The reverse (if a coin) would have shown a radiant liberty cap, the mint mark, year minted and the number '.9027', representing its purity of silver.
Don....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool, some of those look exactly like mine. When I first saw it I thought it looked like a Fleur De Lis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you're right, I'm very confused as to what this would be.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
That's a nice composite by Creskol :icon_thumright: I've always called that design the Prince of Wales Plumes.

The "coin" is a really neat find! And I might have a complete version here--- well I have it in pieces. I actually own this and I have never seen another like it. I think it is a contemporary counterfeit of a Mexico 8 Reales. Your piece looks like what I have without the white metal core.

Attachments

• IMG_7228.jpg
    IMG_7228.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7229.jpg
    IMG_7229.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking at the photo it appears that the back side of the coin is hollow. If that is the case there are a couple of possibilities. When I was a kid I did
a disappearing coin trick that involved a hollow backed coin. Check this site out. How to Do the Scotch and Soda Coin Trick
Hollow coins were also used by spies. There have been radios in hollow coins and also in hollow nuts and bolts, as well as micro film in coins etc. Lets say
that the contact sells hot dogs or ice cream. You buy the ice cream, and pay for it, and he gets the info you are providing, and in the change you get a hollow
coin with further orders.
coin trick.jpg You might have found something a spy lost during the cold war. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Regarding the two Mexican coin slices... looks like the same process was used on both - sliced open with a lathe - but possibly for different purposes.

First, the coins are both a bit earlier - both are technically Mexico Cap & Rays "8 Reales" coins (obviously you can see this on Bramble's piece), the older, more accomplished brother of the fairly short-lived full-size Cap & Rays peso - The date on the first piece should be similar to the other -- 1870s-ish. Note that many of these later dates saw their primary usage in China.

Hard to tell from those pics of NickTheMainer's piece whether his coin half is hollow, or filled, or hollowed BUT not smoothly, more like some kind of plug HAD filled it at some time... Like what BosnMate said, a coin could be lathed open and hollowed out with the purpose of containing something (trick coins and the spy radio thing are examples, but of a bit later vintage). Pieces of this type (seen on 1800s crown-sized pieces, certainly including the Cap & Rays 8R) were called "Box Dollars" or "Opium Dollars" from the idea of a more nefarious use.

As I said, hard to tell exactly with that first piece... As far as Bramble's piece - it's definitely not that. Rather, definitely looks to be a piece that was sliced open, silver removed and replaced with base metal (lead?). Same idea that they do with gold bars... scoop out the precious metal from the center, replace it with base metal of a similar density so the weight is close, then hide your tracks. Neat to find both halves at once...

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice composite by Creskol :icon_thumright: I've always called that design the Prince of Wales Plumes.

The "coin" is a really neat find! And I might have a complete version here--- well I have it in pieces. I actually own this and I have never seen another like it. I think it is a contemporary counterfeit of a Mexico 8 Reales. Your piece looks like what I have without the white metal core.

Or the Prince of Wales Feathers.

The coin I think is one of the magic/trick coins that opens up & is hollow inside.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or the Prince of Wales Feathers.

The coin I think is one of the magic/trick coins that opens up & is hollow inside.
I have seen similar at the coin fare, one was a Cartwheel penny that opened up as a container, possibly for more coins and looked identical to the real thing, only deeper...very neat. The shield looks like a horse décor shield, with the prince of wales feathers....cool finds:icon_thumright:

SS

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'leather strap ends'-- I have one with no design on it, just plain and always wondered what it might be, now I have an idea!--(love this site)--

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I found another one of these yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG