Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 100 feet from the high water mark where the treeline starts . Could it be from an old ship ? or just part of a farm implement ( there is an old farm house about 1/2 mile away up on a hill )
Just the end was sticking out out of the ground at an angle .
It's 28 inches long . Heavy .
It seems to have some cloth rapping with a tar-like coating . Any ideas ?
mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 357

Two Dogs

Aug 24, 2005
York, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Various models of White and Garrett
I'd opt for the ships turnbuckle since it looks like a turnbuckle and has left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other. The tar covered canvas would have been used to protect the metal from the ravages of salt water. I saw lots of similar items while in the Navy. Two Dogs

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Tony has it right. I've used a hundred just like that one.

Upvote 0

abacopirate

Jan 18, 2006
Abaco, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
whites,excaliber,pulsestar2
It's a sturnbuckle from a ship. Used to adjust rigging. It has tar and canvas to protect from the salt. The ones used on tractors had a ball join on each end to let them swing.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of the hook up for a 3 pt. tractor hitch set up to me. Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping it's a ship part .
I was able to use some solvent and some pipe wrenches to break free one end . I found this picture in a library book today . It's kinda similar ?
mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like both....I'm trying to picture the one on the tractor right now...I believe the tractor hitch would be much thicker. It does look like the ones on the electric poles too.

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Even on the smaller tractors, they are heavier duty than that when used on a 3-pt hitch. The one on our 8N Ford tractor (smaller tractor) is probably 3 times thicker/heavier than that.

I'd say it's a turnbuckle for sure, but whether it was on a ship or not is hard to say. Looks like it could have been. Probably fairly modern though (within the past 50 years or so) judging by the corrosion and the fact that you got it broken loose. Most really old stuff I find in salt water is so rusted it's almost unidentifiable without knocking clods of corrosion off.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I can't tell what it went on but that is in fact a turnbuckle. As you already must know, turnbuckles are used on lots of machinery.

Upvote 0

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
It is not the "top link" for a tractor 3-point hitch. As mentioned by someone else, too slim. These also have ball joints on each end, as someone else also mentioned. I've lived on a farm all my life and have seen plenty of them, on new and old tractors. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be off some other piece of antique farm equipment, although I don't recall ever seeing a piece like this before. I don't know much about ship's rigging, but I think the tar certainly makes the ship turnbuckle a likely id. The last thing I would want on farm equipment is a sticky tar coating to collect dirt, clothing, fingers, etc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread