What's new

Ships Weight and Oil Burner?

kairey

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Apologies if this appears more than once, this is the 3rd time I have tried posting this and nothing shows up, hopefully this does or I give up! :-)

Anyway can anybody shed some light on the images below? They were found on a dive in Southern Spain about 4 years ago and they have sat on my desk ever since, so I thought I would try and get some conclusion as to what they are...

I did some research a while ago and ships weight was one thought and the other item some kind of oil burner, I have some other bits from the same site, buttons, buckle and shards of pottery, but lets start here....hope you can help and any other information required just ask me, I am new at this :)

Presumed ships weight is 16cm high and 9.5cm at the base, very heavy with markings MTA and an infinity or number 8 marking. There is also a small stamp that looks like a figure with a walking stick and the other hand on hip?

Thanks and regards
KEVIN
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0384.webp
    DSCN0384.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0386.webp
    DSCN0386.webp
    71.6 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN0390.webp
    DSCN0390.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN0318.webp
    DSCN0318.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 529
1st item certainly looks like it could be a sounding weight.
 
Upvote 0
Ramitt said:
1st item certainly looks like it could be a sounding weight.
Wouldn't a sounding weight be made from lead :icon_scratch: less valuable if it became snagged and lost :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
Ramitt said:
1st item certainly looks like it could be a sounding weight.
Wouldn't a sounding weight be made from lead :icon_scratch: less valuable if it became snagged and lost :dontknow:

SS

I think most were lead,
 
Upvote 0
The weight is either brass, or dare I say gold! Surely not gold or it would be worth a fortune!

Is there a simple way to find out if it is brass other than having a proper metal test? I did rub away part of the bottom and it is a very distinct gold colour and has not tarnished in the 4 years since I did it....

KEVIN
 

Attachments

  • PB153204.webp
    PB153204.webp
    74 KB · Views: 534
Upvote 0
maybe it's some sort of church clock weight :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It's a ship's weight alright. :thumbsup: But I've been here trying to remember what they used them for.I know I've seen them here at are maritime museum.But can't remember there use.I want to think that the coast guard use something simular in a motar to fire a rescue line to shore back in the day. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Antique mortar and pestle, bell, ships weight and newer wall dagger ornament. Valmazan, hallmark, Sarreid is stamped on the base of the ship's weight. Tallest piece ships weight is 7 1/4" tall by 3 1/2" wide. Longest piece wall dagger is 14" long by 3" wide. Some wear to finish. See images. Approx. weight 17.2 lbs.
 

Attachments

  • 315_23_1[1].webp
    315_23_1[1].webp
    944 bytes · Views: 592
Upvote 0
The last time I looked into it, some said that they were trading weights for weighing out all kinds of goods to trade etc....

Would be good to know if the markings mean anything, I will try and get a better close up image of them....
 
Upvote 0
Not a ship's weight, a scale weight from a ship. :wink:

Second, yes, 4-wick oil lamp. Very early.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I have some other bits from the same site that I will post in this topic rather than start a new one. It's late now in Spain so will do it tomorrow....

I would have continued diving the site, but I cannot any more due to medical reasons even though it is in only 10m of water. Have to get a metal detector instead now and scour the land for artefacts!

KEVIN
 
Upvote 0
Looks like brass to me. Have you ever weighed it? Maybe the 8 has something to with the weight.
 
Upvote 0
kairey said:
The last time I looked into it, some said that they were trading weights for weighing out all kinds of goods to trade etc....

Would be good to know if the markings mean anything, I will try and get a better close up image of them....
Sorry about that, :-[ Had it confused with the Projectile for the Lyle Gun.Which are iron.And had forgot were you were from when I posted.My Bad.
Good ID to the others. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • history-trunk[1].webp
    history-trunk[1].webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
OK as promised here are more items from the same site, interesting about the oil lamp mojjax it is very similar but could it really be from that period, nothing is impossible I guess!

I do know a little more about the site, but it is all presumptions from my own investigations. She is a very old ship 17th-18th Century, presumed to be French, and has been raped and pillaged by the local dive centres, with no care for her historic interest. I tried to get the Spanish authorities involved but then the whole saga with Odyssey Exploration kicked off (I am sure you have read about this and its all going on where I live!). So I until now have kept very quiet about the whole thing. In 10m of water rough seas change the layout of the wreck and used to reveal a little more after each storm, even to the extent that a canon was uncovered, only to have disappeared the next time we went....

It is interesting to get your input on the items, then it may or may not make my presumptions fact....

Thanks to everyone so far!

KEVIN
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0299.webp
    DSCN0299.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN0304.webp
    DSCN0304.webp
    27 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0372.webp
    DSCN0372.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN0365.webp
    DSCN0365.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0321.webp
    DSCN0321.webp
    6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0320.webp
    DSCN0320.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN0313.webp
    DSCN0313.webp
    35 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0381.webp
    DSCN0381.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
daroofa said:
Looks like brass to me. Have you ever weighed it? Maybe the 8 has something to with the weight.

Well, well, weighed the weight on the wife's new scales 3,637g, popped it into a conversion chart and hey presto 8.01821lb!!!

...so I guess that's the "8"

Below is an image of the marks, the other is clearly MTA and as discussed above the other is a figure, hard to define on the photo but clearly a person with a stick in their right hand and a left hand on the hip..?

KEVIN
 

Attachments

  • PB163206.webp
    PB163206.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0
1)Pic
Gálvez, ca. 1780-1820
http://www.artifacts.org/Bucklepage.htm

2)Pic
http://www.artifacts.org/Fleetpage.htm


4)Pic Need to see the ends. Looks like some type of Plum holder. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
6-7th) pic. One is a trigger guard & the other is the butt plate.
http://www.artifacts.org/Artifacts.htm
MODEL 1752 / 1757 SPANISH MUSKET PARTS

The Model 1752 (also known as the Model 1757) Spanish musket was a classic European flintlock longarm combining French, German, and Spanish influences. This, along with a slightly modified version that appeared in 1789, was the standard Spanish military musket from the 1750s until the end of the Spanish colonial period. At above left are barrel bands, a sideplate, a wrist escutcheon, and a hammer from Spanish sites in western Florida. At above right is shown an official Spanish engraving of Model 1752/1757 musket furniture as well as carbine and pistol locks and parts.

 

Attachments

  • rctbk1sm[1].webp
    rctbk1sm[1].webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 4007[1].webp
    4007[1].webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 1752part[1].webp
    1752part[1].webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0
kairey said:
Timekiller - Great info thanks!

Could No.5 be the remains of a bayonet? http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1728bayonet1.jpg

My previous efforts led me to believe that the ship is one of the French vessels that was run aground after the Battle of Marbella/Cabrita Point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cabrita_Point

KEVIN
Not sure on that one Buddy,is it iron?does it have holes in it? It sorta looks like some kind of old strap hinge from the pick maybe for a creat or door. :icon_scratch:
Nice finds though & diving was something I always wanted to do.Too old and too many cigs. probably to get into it now. :D
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom