Shocking discovery of missing WW 2 Allied Airman!

Z

ZumbroKid

Went out insearch of treasures today. I was detecting a local demo site and noticed some removed walk. I had gotten a nice signal that anywhere but Montana would be great. I dug down and reach packed earth. Anything this deep was old i was thinking. I ended up disintering this World War 2 Veteran. There was no marker on his grave or anyother indication that it was his final resting place. Who was he? Was he from Billings? All these new mysteries that treasure hunting creates. I'll post his photo in hopes someone out there in treasure land might know his who he is. A word of caution! It is a little gory, he had appently lost his feet in battle. :'(

Attachments

• WW2 airman.jpg
    WW2 airman.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Very cool find Pete.I hope you can give him a decent final resting place...Joe

E

EarthWalker

Ouch! thats probably what happened, he lsot his footing and fell into a hole..... ;)

S

southbound

Probably collectable too!Cool find.
Vern

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of the Movie.. The Longest Day! They had fake Parachute jumpers to throw the Germans off on the D-Day.. I think they were a little bigger :) Nice Keeper!

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

He is about 4 inches, but missing his feet.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
He evidently lost his feet upon impact after parachuting out of the bomber! Now go back and dig them out and look for Dogtags! Poor guy! Hope you give him a resting place with honors!

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I'm pretty sure there was a bomber squadron out of Montana that consisted of mostly handicapped airmen, this fellow was most likely a gunner/radioman/navigator since he couldn't control the pedals to fly a plane. RIP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions