What's new

Shoe Buckle Frame & Copper

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
3,002
Golden Thread
8
🥇 Banner finds
8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my camera died early in the season. Although I bought a new camera months ago, I had gotten out of the habit of posting finds. I've also been holding back in the hope of a significant find to post up, and now I haven't posted since...:icon_scratch: Not once this year!!! I figured on just posting up what I've been fortunate to get lately before the entire year passes without making any contributions to this great forum. Anyway, I found this shoe buckle frame and Large Cent in the front yard of a modern home - research showed that an old house once stood in the same exact spot. I also found a musket ball, a blown-away King George I Copper, tombac button, etc. The pictured copper has a good side and a bad side, which I typically encounter for those better condition dug coppers. I'm guessing the bad side was the side facing up, which was exposed to the elements until the coin was eventually covered over. Any comments?

download 10-12-15 026.webp

download 10-12-15 032.webp
 
Upvote 18
Thats a great buckle.
And that LC is in fantastic shape.
 
Both sides of that LC look great to me, and the shoe buckle frame is a nice one as well
 
Looks good when we going
 
theres 2 great finds...that largie is real nicccee
 
Very nice finds. That LC is really sweet. well done.
 
Nice to have you back on board Jim. Hope you start posting on a regular basis now that hunting season is in full swing, or close to it. Those are 2 really nice looking finds. It's hard to find shoe buckles of that size that are completely intact and without damage. Nice going on that:icon_thumleft:. As far as your comment about the LC, yes, over the years I've routinely dug coppers that exhibit one side in great shape and the other rather poor. I agree that the bad side was facing upwards where it was more exposed to water, fertilizer, or other agents that would do a number on a copper coin. But another interesting observation is that I've also dug a fair number of these where one side had very nice detail, and the other side was quite worn, and yours fits that description to a degree. I have no clue why that is as you'd expect a coin in circulation to wear somewhat equally on both sides. Like to hear what others think about this phenomenon.
 
Nice to have you back on board Jim. Hope you start posting on a regular basis now that hunting season is in full swing, or close to it. Those are 2 really nice looking finds. It's hard to find shoe buckles of that size that are completely intact and without damage. Nice going on that:icon_thumleft:. As far as your comment about the LC, yes, over the years I've routinely dug coppers that exhibit one side in great shape and the other rather poor. I agree that the bad side was facing upwards where it was more exposed to water, fertilizer, or other agents that would do a number on a copper coin. But another interesting observation is that I've also dug a fair number of these where one side had very nice detail, and the other side was quite worn, and yours fits that description to a degree. I have no clue why that is as you'd expect a coin in circulation to wear somewhat equally on both sides. Like to hear what others think about this phenomenon.
Bill, I don't think it has anything to do with wearing differently from side to side. I think it has more to do with which side of the coin has a stronger die strike.
 
Very clear and crisp obverse on your LC.
 
The obverse of the LC is almost perfect for a dug coin and that buckle is great!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom