gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to get the soil off the silver without rubbing, which will leave unsightly hair line scratches. Soak silver in hot soapy water and try to rinse away the grit without rubbing, it will fall off eventually. Once the coin is free of dirt and grit, then it is as clean as you should go. Copper and bronze, use peroxide treatment to knock off the oxidation but dont overdo it, keep your eye on things until you get a feel for it. Just remember, dug coins can be improved by cleaning, but you can ruin a silver dime in gramp's collection by cleaning and polishing it to make it look purdy.

eagle927

Nov 10, 2012
Evansville,IN
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to hobby lobby and got one of there Rock Tumblers and use it to clean up coins just add your hot soapy water and let it turn for a bit look on there web site get a 40% coupon they sell for $39.99 with coupon you will pay about $23

Attachments

• Rock tumbler.jpeg
    Rock tumbler.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 310

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collectors get angry all right but they will complain either way.
Oh that coin has been dug......better knock a few grades off of it. Oh that coin has been cleaned......better knock a few grades off of it.
You will find conflicting opinions in the metal detecting community as well. Too many green globs posted and I scream at my computer "Clean that bloody thing already!":laughing7:
Especially when they ask to identify it. Some will harp about patina. Sorry people, patina is important for ARTIFACTS, not modern coins. Collectors find green coins hideous unless they're really old.
If you're not selling then keep it how you like it, as it is YOURS to do what you want with it.
In my experience, a collector will pay more on a cleaned silver coin than one that is all black from tarnish.
Don't let anyone pull the "original toning is lost" crap on you either. Toning only applies to circulated coins that have NEVER hit the ground. Once it hits the ground, it's a whole other ball game.
Why would someone want to buy a coin that they can't see?
Cleaning should always be on the conservative side. It's better to under-clean a coin than to over-clean.
The rock tumbler idea is good for CLAD only!
Don't use lemon juice or vinegar on copper/brass coins. It will turn it a sickly looking orange and leave pitting.
I normally stay away from posts like this as it can cause arguments.
For the record, this is MY OPINION ONLY.
Cheers,
Dave.

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to hobby lobby and got one of there Rock Tumblers and use it to clean up coins just add your hot soapy water and let it turn for a bit look on there web site get a 40% coupon they sell for $39.99 with coupon you will pay about $23

I checked this tumbler out - all the reviews I read indicated that the cheap drum developed holes in it by the end of the second use. Like the old saying goes -- you get what you pay for. I got a good used one many many years ago at a yard sale for $25 and it is still going good.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theyre your coins. Do what you want with them. I use a tumbler for clad. And an ultrasonic sink for silver. Dont find any gold. :laughing7:

I just use water and soap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread