Should i persue this lead ?

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little History , after researching a few civil war maps for my area trying to find some battle spots to take my son and MD , i noticed a place called Greeneville College on the map where there is no college now. after talking to a few people and no one knew anything about it i actually bumped into some one that knew exactly what i was talking about and had actually owned the property the college was on but had sold it . the college was tore down a very long time ago she said and is now pasture for cattle .
i have the land owners name and can use the other person as a reference , to see if i can search the field .
problem is this , i have no idea how long this was a college , will i find anything other then a bunch of old nails and debri from the demolition ? is it worth getting permission and checking ? it is from the mid 1800,s

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that lead may turn up lead if it were a battlefield, or adjacent to one :tongue3:

I'd do a little more :read2: up on it :icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the site is no secret to the history books, then odds are, it's been hit. Even if the current owners don't know it, etc.... Not that that would stop me from hitting it, since "no one gets it all".

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as a i know there were no battles around the area of the school . it caught my eye because it was in the middle of no where in the county , and its farm land now .
the civil war era map of tennesse 1864 shows it and that is the only one i have seen so far.
so i am going to do more research , but i have no idea when it was built , how long it was open and what type of college was it ? Because as i said , it was 5 miles atleast from town out in the county.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's no problem for you to get to and you can get permission, I'd definitely give it a shot if I were you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless better leads were being worked that sounds like a great spot to sample a couple hours at least!.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello mical,

I'd definitely pursue this. It seems to date from the late 18th Century: Tusculum College

You'll notice the Civil War use, I'm sure.

beginning-collegiate-education-west-appalachians-1795-1833-james-patrick-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES GO FOR IT & BE PAITENT .GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1808 Hugh Brown receives first academic degree from Tusculum's predecessor, Greeneville College

1868 Greeneville College and Tusculum College merge to become Greeneville & Tusculum College.

so that dates it a little better, Hugh brown recived a degree in 1808 from there , so it was up and running before 1808 and merged in 1868.. so thats atleast 68 years , and if tusculum served as barracks durign the civil war then i would think Greeneville college did also .. i think it is time to contact the land owner and start smoozing .....

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for the info and input,, i totally ignored tusculum college and never thought they merged .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread