Getting permission to hunt private land?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not send a letter,and do not call em(unless calling to set up an appointment)dress semi nice(not your digging clothes)and just be honest,dont try and baffle them.Thanks for asking!!!!Be conscience of words you use as well....try not to use "dig",too much.We all know we have to "dig",but to the untrained ear,they get visions of huge holes....their property all dug up.Make sure you let them know you cover your holes,dont kill the grass(if wanting to hunt the lawn)you wont leave gates open,etc,etc.Show them you know what RESPECT is,offer to share what you found with them even if its just showing them

Last edited:
OP
OP
U
Feb 18, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger, the sites are vacated and the people live in other states/cities so I would have to do something by mail, any additional thoughts?

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a letter in one of the threads I used last week to mail to a vacant owner. I am waiting to hear back from them at this point.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger, the sites are vacated and the people live in other states/cities so I would have to do something by mail, any additional thoughts?

That is a tough one,I would call before I would send anything.Somebody getting a letter gets freaked out...its too formal...too impersonal.Same thing goes with those liability release forms(which dont mean squat anyway)Most people are immediately turned off when signatures and paperwork starts flowing....big red flags!!!I would phone them and explain that you would rather talk face to face but that option is obviously not available.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think what kuger is trying to say, is this: Think about what YOU do when you get junk mail from a total stranger: you throw it away, right? And think of what YOU do when you get a phone solicitor calling you: you hang up, right?

Thus to "bump into someone" is always the best way. Catch them on their front porch, or watering their lawn, etc...

But as you say, if they're in another state, then ....... that's going to be hard. Who's watching their land here? Isn't someone near it, that they've tasked with managing their business concerns here? Or are we talking simple blighted vacant corner lots? What type sites?

OP
OP
U
Feb 18, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, there are two separate sites one is a 6 acre tract with a house built in 1877 on it, it is a 1 room log built house on it still standing barely, the land was purchased from the estate in 1984 and has just been sitting it is so grown up with pine trees you can barely see the house anymore. There are also several tracts of land adjoining that are also owned by the same Gentleman but no houses I can see from Google maps. Owner lives in Tennessee.
The other property is a vacant lot where an old store stood when I was a child, can remember picking up soda bottles and selling them to the store at a dime a piece...sorry rambling...anyway thought it would be a great place to maybe find some old coins. Owner inherited the land in the early ninety's and lives in Florida.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, there are two separate sites one is a 6 acre tract with a house built in 1877 on it, it is a 1 room log built house on it still standing barely, the land was purchased from the estate in 1984 and has just been sitting it is so grown up with pine trees you can barely see the house anymore. There are also several tracts of land adjoining that are also owned by the same Gentleman but no houses I can see from Google maps. Owner lives in Tennessee.
The other property is a vacant lot where an old store stood when I was a child, can remember picking up soda bottles and selling them to the store at a dime a piece...sorry rambling...anyway thought it would be a great place to maybe find some old coins. Owner inherited the land in the early ninety's and lives in Florida.
Definetly share with them your child hood stories(not too many...respect their time)thats a huge foot in the door!!Share with them any other info,you have researched....again,in modesty.This shows them you are genuine and have genuine interest,not just some Ric Savage type here to Ravage your property to get rich and be gone.Its your call,but sounds to me like you may have to do some pruning to hunt....ask them if its OK,to cut down some of that stuff....clean it up a bit?Ask yourself....what are they getting out of this deal?Its not cpmplicated,and to many might sound like too much,but I will tell you this.......your good name is priceless and that good anme will carry,landowners usually all know each other,and many are nosey....a conversation between two is struck up about what your doing and before you know it.......your phone rings..."Hey,wanna check my place out?"

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a copy of an email I sent to an overseer of an old Oregon Trail fort. Obviously, within this letter, we are not hunting for stuff to keep but rather to find stuff. This simple email has opened a number of doors and gotten a lot of attention (good attention).

"Hello Mr.Young,

My name is ******** and I represent a small group of metal detector enthusiasts in and around Casper. We are currently creating our annual summer schedule of locations to detect, and the idea of XXXXXXX has been brought up.

I would like to have the opportunity to discuss with you the options for possible detecting and what we could offer to the museum. As you know, metal detectors have been around for many decades. However, it is only in the last 5 or 6 years that technology has allowed handheld detectors the ability to find buried objects at depths previously though impossible.

Traditionally, metal detectorists are likened to treasure hunters and only thought to hunt for profit. Our group is quite different and have no desire to make a profit or keep any found items. We are in it "for the thrill of the hunt"
so to speak. We also have a deep desire to preserve artifacts that would normally be lost for all time. Our time and equipment is offered on a strictly volunteer basis, and all finds would be turned over to the museum for cataloging and possible display.

We would like the opportunity to spend a weekend exploring the grounds of the old fort as well as any associated areas. This would obviously be done in the summer time, but we would make every effort to not disturb tourists or impact the flow of your operation.

Please also be aware that we STRICTLY adhere to the Metal detector code of ethics found at the below link, and pride ourselves on leaving no trace other than the removal of artifacts and disposal of trash.

Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.

If you would like to discuss our proposal, please feel free to contact me with a reply email or via my phone number at XXXXXXX.

Thank you,"

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good letter...if you are to send a letter

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and get old maps of that area and send them or bring them with you and outline the reason you wanna hunt there,etc. This approach works good in person while trying to get permission. Also if you are a member of the Historical Society that works well too the more professional you look and act the more they will grant you permission! Good luck! :occasion14:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go to their house and knock on there door. Take a suitcase with you.

Sooner or later they will get around to asking you what is in the suitcase. You tell them your clothes and your staying until you get the place detected out. :laughing9:

Albert22

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most the people use the latter for sending and getting any information because its an official way but you can also call them if you want a quick reply but you don't have more ideas when you calling a owner of any property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread