What's new

Should I set higher standards??

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
8,006
Reaction score
899
Golden Thread
0
Location
Location: Undisclosed
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, ;D

I go out metal detecting just in hopes I'll find a Silver Rossie. :o No gold, no big pieces of silver, no key dates, no Diamonds, no platinum. :icon_scratch: I just go out looking for a silver dime.... ::) I don't think lots of people around here had much money. :dontknow: I don't expect to find lots of gold. Lots of people around here have metal detectors and most public places are hunted out. :crybaby2: I mean no finds at all not one hunted these parks 2 or 3 times no results. :dontknow: Maybe I should not be so pessimistic.

Maybe I should look for Gold and Diamonds. :o Maybe I should start to look for rare key date coins and large silver and gold coins. :blob7: I hear stories about finding them, I see people finding them on here. :sunny: I just don't think the stuff is out there, could I be wrong? :dontknow:

Some good things about not expecting these things is. I am very surprised when I find them. :o I am not disappointed so much if I don't find them. :icon_scratch: So lets here it from you, should we be thinking big or not? ??? ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D :wink:
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

I dig all the pulltab signals, I am disappointed when I see its actually a pulltab but when I dig gold I just think "thank goodness I decided to dig that signal" (and that doesn't happen nearly often enough). I get a little adrenaline rush every time I start to dig a plug, so standards be damned, I like to dig and I sure hate wondering what was in the groud that I didn't dig up because it said pulltab on my machine. Was it just a pulltab or did I just leave a ring behind? HH Charlie
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

I just love the landscape. I set my standards to finding a whole lotta clad. But eventually you will find the silver, gold, diamonds etc... I skipped grades and found a silver way beyond my expectations, and so will you :icon_sunny:
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

My standards are simple...enjoy the day! Sure, I'd like to come home with some goodies, but if I don't, I know that I may have lost a few things while out (POUNDS!!!) and got some over due exercise and enjoyed the outdoors.

When going to the beach to detect, I'm happy coming home with CLAD!!! When Hubby and I go, we compete to see who can get the most CLAD esp Nickels. He rarely finds them, I get them all the time ;D!!! And I love walking behind him, he skipped right over a pocket spill one time!!! His loss, My gain!!! Heeheheheee!!!

Just enjoy and it will come to you. I find when you try too hard, you come out empty handed, if you go with an open mind to enjoy the day and the company of your friends (if you don't go alone), then things will come to you...and if they don't, then so be it, there is always tomorrow!

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

Ron and Ann said:
My standards are simple...enjoy the day! Sure, I'd like to come home with some goodies, but if I don't, I know that I may have lost a few things while out (POUNDS!!!) and got some over due exercise and enjoyed the outdoors.

When going to the beach to detect, I'm happy coming home with CLAD!!! When Hubby and I go, we compete to see who can get the most CLAD esp Nickels. He rarely finds them, I get them all the time ;D!!! And I love walking behind him, he skipped right over a pocket spill one time!!! His loss, My gain!!! Heeheheheee!!!

Just enjoy and it will come to you. I find when you try too hard, you come out empty handed, if you go with an open mind to enjoy the day and the company of your friends (if you don't go alone), then things will come to you...and if they don't, then so be it, there is always tomorrow!

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie

yup, sometimes the true treasure is the hunt itself. :wink: from what i am told the good old days of finding lots of silver on every hunt are long gone. most places (public) have been gone over lots of times and what we find now are merely things that were missed by countless others. that's not to say that great things are not still there to find though, just hard to come by. i have a feeling with your new strategy( :wink:) you re not going to have to lower your standards. you are on the right track!
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

Your standards are just fine. I enjoy just being able to be out there doing it whether it is coin hunting on a tot lot or seeking gold on the beaches or water. Sometimes I am lucky and sometimes I come home with a pouch full of trash. Silver is harder to find and sometimes we just need to knock on more doors to hunt the neighborhoods around us.

Anytime I find something more than my silly brother in law, I am a happy camper......... :thumbsup:
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

MUD,

Sounds like you are having ' one of those days'. We all have them. Your standards are fine, but you should expand your search areas to other locations. Places you have not been to before.

I have a favorite spot that produced clad on a regular basis. Recently I noticed it was played out. Not possible because it replenishes itself. That only means one thing, someone else is hunting it and they got there before me. Bummer. I went there today and found one clad dime. Better than nothing. Went to a nearby park and did not find anything. Double Bummer. I chalked it up to one of those days.

We all have em.

HH

Ray S
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

Hey Mudd....why don't you come on down the weekend of 24 Oct and hunt with us on 917+ acres of land (Pipsico BS Reservation)...I can 98% say you will leave with silver! We are camping out....I know you are a ways away...but think about it anyways! We have an extra tent and sleeping bags!

YIS & YIMD,
Annmarie
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

In my three years of detecting i have found exactly one silver Rosie and one 40% sliver Keneddy half.
That equals of lot of coming home sometimes with less a dollar. But don't give up. Keep plugging and something nice WILL show up.
 
Oh... It has nothing to do with my finds. ;D I am very happy with what I find these days... :D Lots of silver coins and I even found a banner ring this year. ;D :o http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,156934.html But the thing is I don't look for these things, I don't dig every signal. :icon_scratch: Cause I don't think the treasure is there, but the question is should I ? :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
Re: Should I set higher Standerd's??

just looking at my finds i can see that all my favourites come from crusaders fields, what i get around my area is probably the equivalent of your clad finds.

it can be very disheartening(you've seen crusaders posts) imagine how i feel! :icon_scratch:

i hate him! ;D
 
I feel like my team and I make some pretty nice finds--but our philosophy is simple: We only want one keeper apiece. Sometimes we don't get even that, but most of the time we at least get a suspender clip for the collection. (And sometimes we get LC's and Seated Silver :wink:)

Anyhow... if you're asking if you should set higher standards (or you aren't happy with what you're finding) then the answer to your question is probably "Yes."

But to be honest, it isn't really all about "standards." Whatever types of finds get your blood pumping are what you should go for. The nice thing about a forum like this is that you get to see many different types of finds--metal, flint, glass, and the list goes on.

Whatever makes you tick, go for it.

And you will find it.



-Buckleboy
 
If you're not happy with your current yields, then you're not doing what you need to.

I set my standards for 2 things.

One, having an enjoyable day, and

Two, finding that siver someone else walked over.

It is getting harder to find silver and my thinking is...

A lot of newer people are detecting with mid to upper range detectors, spend some time trying to learn them and hit a place, only to have their expectations dashed when they only find a few modern coins or relics.

These are some of the same places I hit back in the early 80's when detecting wasn't as popular and I could find a small handful of silver in a day.
I know there is still silver out there and that's what I hunt for...but it takes time and patience....and I know others simply lost interest in the area when I can pop out a couple rosie's or wheaties.

That's my fun.....hahaha..you missed it and I found it!!!!! :tongue3:

Al
 
I have set a standard recently. I found that once or twice when I got really lucky and found some cool stuff I just didn't get excited after those hunts.

So I have changed my standards. If I find anything that isn't junk or clad I am satisfied!!!

I love finding silver but I am back to getting excited over wheats!!!

It's all how you approach the hunt and why you are doing it.
 
everything you dig out of the ground is a surprise! thats the buzz :thumbsup:

unless your like me and just know its another chunk of iron ;D ;D ;D
 
For me it is all good! :thumbsup: Guess I have low standards. :D Being outdoors, having a hobby I enjoy, and the suspense of never knowing what I may find, is a rush for me. I found two Merc's and I still am able to re-live the high I felt when I first found them.
 
"standards" is not the proper term. My one hunting partner has taught me a lot and the key is expectation. Yes, you can have "realism" but you need to believe wherever you go that there is good stuff there. If you go out just thinking oh, I'll try this spot you might give up prematurely. If you have done your homework then the stuff is there - you just have to find it. Now I know practically this is not always true but if you don't go out believing it then you will not find it (again - there are always exceptions).

Bob
 
Standards sound like work. I thought this was a hobby. Something I do to get away from expectations and standards. What ever I find is something I did'nt have before and that someone probably lost of hid. I often wonder who might have found what I lost or hid in my past. :icon_scratch:
 
Hi,

I don't know about standards. I just do it for the fun of it. Like my other hobbies, when it stops being fun, I stop and do other things and come back to MDing another time. If I am on a beach, I'll just walk and enjoy the scenery. If I am on a dive, I'll explore and maybe take pictures. For me, MDing is not an end, it is just one of many vehicles I use to enjoy life.

:)
 
MUD,
I have to agree with Mirage. What you expect to find is the key.
Sounds like you are doing well in my book. Maybe you need to find a couple of new spots to hunt.

When I started asking permission and hunting more private property that had not been pounded to death it is even more fun.
Something very cool about going somewhere that everyone else isn't.

I still hunt our old fairgrounds too. Been pounded for years, hard. Now everyone else assumes it is empty. I don't find silver every time out there, but.... 4 indians, 2 buffs, silver dimes, silver quarters, wheaties, and a silver half this year.

Have some fun. Decide what kind of signals you are gonna dig, and then just go find cool stuff, enjoy the outdoors, and be a geek like the rest of us history freaks!

Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom