Should I start a website?

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I was wondering if you guys had any input on whether I should start a website that sells silver. I know I can get customers, but the total fee for starting my business would be over $400. I know this might not be a lot of money, but im 13 and this will seriously cut into my crh. Thanks

Upvote 0

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
No, it is a lot of work for a 13 year old. I tried to start my own website when I was 14 and it is just too difficult. It is not worth it, just sell at your LCS or on eBay. I would keep the silver I were you though.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Starting a website isn't too hard. You would be better to start a website to house all your information, than if they want to buy they can check out through Paypal. Weebly.com, or straight HTML and CSS. HTML and CSS is fun to learn.. I can show you a little bit if you are interested.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my own website for sports cards that I made last year. Rookie Card World .com
It wasn't really that hard but the again I had a lot of help. What takes time is product input. With sports cards I have thousands of different ones and the pictures must all be scanned and uploaded. Takes a long time. For a 13year old IDK....depends I guess. But don't expect to make a big profit unless you have a UNIQUE product or idea. If you don't then making a profit will depend on how much time your willing to put in.
Mine...I'm in it for the long haul. I haven't made a profit yet, but I built the site and bought some extra inventory for not too much so I'm happy. It takes a long time to build a loyal customer base.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound like a *badword*, but how to you know you "can get customers"?

What are you going to offer that dozens of power companies cannot? Companies that can throw around millions into inventory, buy in bulk and sell at minimal profit ratios? Companies that have been in business for a century, that employ hundreds of workers.

I think it's great that you want to be a young entrepreneur, but take it slow, grab a little maturity and seek as much advice as you can before dropping a cent into something.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound like a *badword*, but how to you know you "can get customers"?

What are you going to offer that dozens of power companies cannot? Companies that can throw around millions into inventory, buy in bulk and sell at minimal profit ratios? Companies that have been in business for a century, that employ hundreds of workers.

I think it's great that you want to be a young entrepreneur, but take it slow, grab a little maturity and seek as much advice as you can before dropping a cent into something.

Well I was thinking about selling silver bullion. I found a way to sell for lower prices than ampex or northwest mint do. I would probably make around $10 for every sale of 5 eagles.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I was thinking about selling silver bullion. I found a way to sell for lower prices than ampex or northwest mint do. I would probably make around $10 for every sale of 5 eagles.

Wow, I wish I could do that... I'd buy ever eagle I could if I could flip them that quick.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Why would I as a potential customer do business with a new-start-up business vs. an established, trusted company? Selling ASE for a few bucks less than the major bullion dealers won't earn my trust.

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would happen if silver dropped to 25.00 an ounce again and you paid 31.00 for it. Would you be willing to take a 10.00 loss for every five you sell like the big companies? I dont think so. Every time silver dips low our lcs claims he has sold out of all his silver.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Start off on eBay and see how well you do. Just sell your finds to test the business waters. Having your own website I'm sure is harder than selling on eBay.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cost me 40 bucks a month to have a real website. With shopping carts and merchant software. It was only 30 a month 2 years ago when i started. Not happy about the increase but I don't think there's much I can do because there still pretty cheap and not worth switching. I tried advertising through google Adwords with little success. I started with a budget of 150 a month but have been constantly scaling back due to lack of results. Down to 6 bucks a day with that...... I due it for fun, obviously....

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to start on Ebay before you try creating a dedicated business.
You don't want to have to deal with creating a business and stuff. In my state it costs $700 just to register an LLC.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are much smarter ways to sell than an ecommerce web site. I have looked into...sharks....the lot of them.

PS- 13 year olds should focus on school. CRH is fine but keep all the finds you can. Think of business when you are older.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions