Show horse arenas?

I bet there are finds to be had there. Try underneath the stands and follow the path from the gate to the parking lot.

I grew up just 2 blocks from one of the largest rodeos here in the USA circuit. It was supposedly built in the late 1800s as a horse-racing track. But for all practical purposes, really didn't take off till the mid 1920s (when the original grandstands were put in, and efforts made to make it a big event, etc....). And yes, I hunted the arena a lot. And yes, we found coins, and saddle adornments. I do recall finding some silver things from saddlewear (studs, etc...), but to be honest with you, not a lot. And they were "incidental" anyhow, as coins were our primary goal. No, never gold saddle adornment (but perhaps d/t we might have been knocking out tabs? I really don't think gold is used that much for tack/saddle adornment, is it?)

The best zone we had was under the grandstands, not out in the arena. The underbelly of these enormous stands was all hardpan dirt. So for 70+ yrs. it had "rained down" coins (and tabs and foil and junk). So we'd go under there (slipping through broken slats or any other way we could get in/under) and find lots of silver. Because of the tabs and foil, we had no choice but to crank the disc. But we found lots of silver and wheaties. Then in the mid 1990s, they tore down those old grandstands, to prepare to install new stands. And in the process of demolition (disturbing and stirring up the ground), we found hundreds of more silver coins, and even an 1899 $5 gold :)

Anyone ever try show horse arenas at the fair grounds? Figure stuff falls off the saddles and alot of that is silver and gold. I'm going to try it in the morning you guys ever try it?
I hunt our fairgrounds a couple times a week, arenas, as well as barns, and find lots of conchos, and what I call horse bling. Lots of little do-dads

I found a couple of coins in the actual arena once, but soil was saturated with horse pee and smelled. Not worth the effort to me.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back