Shrink wrap environmental covers for your machines!!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Right on, great idea, great looking self made cover.
I agree with the poke some holes for condensation reasons.

I have watched mine closely for condensation and there has been none. May be due to the bottom not being sealed? But it would be easy to pop a few holes if you desire.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Etrac as well: How easy is it to change coils with the wrap? Or can you change it at all.
I got tired of not seeing the display on my machines. So I got an idea of using a heavy duty shrink wrap bag. They are cheap on ebay and I figured it was worth a try. I purchased several 8x12 bags. I saw where there are two types of materials used. There are PVC bags as well as POF bags. They say the POF bags are more durable and softer. Both types shrink 40%. I did some experiments on bag sizes and decided the 8 inch wide bags would be best. These bags come 12 inches long. I don't know which material is going to be best yet. But today my PVC bags came in. I saw where I needed to cut the bag 7 inches long. Then I pulled the bag down tight and taped both sides together under the bottom of the control box. Then I got my heat gun out and set it to 300 degrees F. I started on the back in the center making the front more tight from the back. Then I moved around the sides and top and finally the front. These bags shrink very fast and the machine didn't get hot. I took it out in the sun and the clarity is super. If you want you can cut your regular cover out where the screen is and have extra protection. I have already done this and it works fine. I'm sure this will work with the ctx3030 too. Heck it works on my xterra. You just have to cut a flap for the headphones and then run some clear tape around the cut out for some added strength. Some machines may require a different size bag? But I'm sure this will solve a lot of problems. One of the pictures shows me pealing the wrap off on my first try. You can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
PS: I'll let you know how the POF bags work when I get them....
Update: I tried both types of bags and the PVC bags are way better. I've now had mine on for 5 months and is just now ready to be replaced. The PVC bags are very durable.
P6120303.jpg

P6120304.jpg

P6120305.jpg

P6120306.jpg

P6120307-1.jpg

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I have an Etrac as well: How easy is it to change coils with the wrap? Or can you change it at all.

No problem. I change mine all the time with the cover on. I'm getting close to a year with the same bag! These things are tough. Plus they can be repaired easily with clear tape.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really want to try this, just have to get around to buying the supplies!
No problem. I change mine all the time with the cover on. I'm getting close to a year with the same bag! These things are tough. Plus they can be repaired easily with clear tape.

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
My hat is off to you for a great idea.:icon_thumleft: Especially for wanting to keep the grime & mud off.
But what about the heat to shrink it? I realize that it's not a 300 degree oven but aren't you worried about damaging the board/LCD etc. from the heat?
Maybe the heat is not that intense but the one thing that came to mind was never leave your detector in a car in the sun.

Any Minelab techs here that can chime in on this?

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The heat is on the plastic for just an instant. Right after I shrunk it the detector didn't feel hot at all. Now at almost a year mine needs to be replaced. So I'm going to test to see how hot it gets under the plastic.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After trying 3 different enviro covers that I am not happy with, I'm finally gonna try with the PVC bags...just bought a lot of 50 on ebay...can I use a hair dryer for this...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Maybe. But at Harbor Freight they have a heat gun around $12. I too tried about every cover to only find all of them created a lot of glare. I've now had this shrink wrap cover on for about a year. I'm going to change it soon and make a video of the process.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good deal but does it have variable temperature...I was thinking you used 300 degrees...hate get it too hot.
Maybe. But at Harbor Freight they have a heat gun around $12. I too tried about every cover to only find all of them created a lot of glare. I've now had this shrink wrap cover on for about a year. I'm going to change it soon and make a video of the process.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
That's a good deal but does it have variable temperature...I was thinking you used 300 degrees...hate get it too hot.
Your not on the wrap very long at all to shrink it. I think HF has a cheap variable heat gun as well. Experiment with heat settings with the bags on something else until you feel good about it.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hair dryer is no good. It heats the shrink cover too slowly causing heat to transfer to the control box.
A heat gun shrinks the bag in seconds and very little heat transfers to the control box.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Yes the heat gun just takes a few seconds. The hair dryer would "heat soak"

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just getting ready to experiment with hairdryer method but I was also worried about the heat transfer issue as well...dang really wanted to try it tonight!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
My wrap has been on for a year! Just about ready to change it out. Not bad for a cheap bag! I have 48 more so that means 48 more years of hunting! By then I'll be so short I won't need to get on my knees to dig.....

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally did mine with short bursts from a hairdryer to keep the housing from getting too hot. Also took my worn scratched Minelab enviro cover and cut out a piece for the now wrapped screen. Also removed the tape I had holding the cloth that covers the top of the handle on the enviro cover (so now I can see all the control buttons again!). I left a strip at the bottom , wrapped Gorilla tape around it and put two velcro straps on, that wrap around the handle and hold the old cover down.

DSCN1800.JPG DSCN1801.JPG DSCN1802.JPG DSCN1803.JPG DSCN1805.JPG DSCN1806.JPG

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Looks great! You'll be surprised how long it will last and how clear the screen is.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I saw the difference in the screen visibility right away...no more dull expensive enviro covers. I put my tape in a slightly different place but that's about the only difference.

Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just replaced mine after 6 months. I modified it a bit with layers of Gorilla tape to keep holes and wear spots in the plastic. One of the best ideas I've come across. In April I hunted one of the best yards ever and it rained all day. I was able to hunt through the downpour and got these:
Yardfinds.jpg
yardfindsbeforesilverhalf.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread