Sifting with Isaac - 1811 Half Cent, Scissors, buttons and more..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For quite some time now, tnet "Isaac" and I have been trying to get together for a hunt. He had a spot that he had completely cleaned out, but he really wanted to get into sifting and he thought he knew where the trash pit was. I have a pretty crazy schedule with work and life, and I typically don't know until the day before if I can detect, but we managed to find a day that worked for both of us and I locked it into the calendar.

So on Saturday, I loaded up all my sifting gear, and brought along my T2 for Isaac to try out, and I met Isaac at his site at sunrise. We started off detecting the pit area. I generally like to dig some iron to see where to begin based on whats in the plug. I was hearing a ton of iron, but no real tell tale signs of a pit in the plugs. After 30 min or so detecting, I had a small brass ring and a pouch full of iron. Isaac did a really good job clearing out the signals from this area. So we decided to open up a pit section based on where Isaac had dug some good targets in the past. I gave him a quick run down of how I set up the tarp, cut and removed the sod, and began to break up the dirt. Turned out we were spot on with the first section we opened. This was awesome because working a productive pit is some of the most fun you can have in the field. We were quickly picking out pipe stems, buttons, pottery, glass and... LOTS of iron. In all we sifted about 6 sections and we amassed a huge pile of relics from the pit. We split up the finds at the end and here are the pieces I took home.

I will let Isaac share his stuff and I will try not to put any spoilers in this post!

IMG_20160620_130541771.jpg

This half cent came from deep in the side of a pit section.

IMG_20160619_093751.jpg

Neither of us knew it was a special date and I didn't find out it was a key date half cent until later in the day. Sadly there is some verdigris spots on the front and back. Only 63,140 were minted in 1811 :headbang: Not to long after the half cent, a colonial find surfaced that had me smiling for at least an hour... that one will be in Isaac's post.

IMG_20160619_093751 - Copy.jpg

These scissors came out looking nice and I could tell from the oxidation that some solid iron was under there. They came out of electrolysis this morning.

IMG_20160619_220134.jpg

I brought home more than 100 nails. A rough guess of the nail type ratios are about 10% rose head, 70% square, and 20% wire nails. Based on that, the majority of this pit would date early to mid 1800's, with some use in the later part of the 1700's and some use in the late 1800's/early 1900's when wire nails came into use.

IMG_20160620_124413660.jpg

A pewter button and a black glass button turned up along with a handful of tombac and flat buttons.

IMG_20160620_124401373.jpg

Unsure about the iron pendant piece, but it looked like it had something inside it at one point.

IMG_20160620_124431235.jpg

Isaac didn't know this going in, but I had planned on giving him my sifter. Isaac is a great guy and his passion for detecting reminds me of myself when I was his age and I started detecting. Its great to see young guys like Isaac so passionate about history and our hobby. He's going to make many many more incredible finds throughout the years. So he got the one and only.... way-over-engineered-with-ball-bearing-legs-sifter... and its even painted! I know he will put it to good use as we only scratched the surface of the trash pit at his site. Now he can return and sift on his own schedule and pull out some more amazing history from a site that has been pounded to death with a detector.

IMG_20160618_101439139.jpg

Yesterday I began construction of my new sifter... yes, it will also have ball bearing legs... and yes, I will be painting it :laughing7:

IMG_20160619_180922027.jpg

That was a lot of fun Isaac and I can't wait to see what else you pull from that pit. It's an insane amount of work to properly excavate a section, pick out the nails, unmask the targets, sort and separate all the finds... but its totally worth it in a good pit. Keep at it and sift down to the last bit as you know some of the best stuff we missed many times with our eyes and machines. Looking forward to your post from the sifting trip! Thanks a ton Isaac and glad you are now addicted to sifting :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the half cent is amazing!! Still on my list to get one of those. Awesome relics - and great collaboration. fun fun.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks a ton buddy! Perhaps the half cent is rare and maybe it gets votes, but I would like to respectfully withdraw it from nomination. I've seen too many finds WAY more historical than a coin be passed up and not go banner, so just based on that I don't want to participate. I do sincerely appreciate it though man. The best part about Saturday was getting someone else addicted to sifting... and for all of us that means more posts on here with awesome finds.

Wow, the half cent is amazing!! Still on my list to get one of those. Awesome relics - and great collaboration. fun fun.

Thanks Metal Magnet! Its only the 3rd Half Cent I've found and by far the best condition. Funny in 1993 I got a Whites Coinmaster as my first detector and the very first target I ever dug in my front yard was an 1809 Half Cent... it was toasty, but its sitting in a case right next to me now. So the Half Cent will always be a very special coin to me and full of great memories.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Sifts Brad and can't wait to see Isaac's haul. BTW next time you want to give away something come further South. :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Brad! That half cent is just killer.

The other finds are really nice too. Congrats to both of you!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet half cent Brad, and nice work on the scissors! I'm sure Isaac will put that sifter to good use!

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great day, and the half is beautiful! I'm now considering building a sifter and visiting some old spots that were productive!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Sifts Brad and can't wait to see Isaac's haul. BTW next time you want to give away something come further South. :occasion14:

Thanks a ton Allen! I'm looking forward to his post as well... I'm a little numb to it now but I will always be amazed at what gets unmasked when digging a pit. Its a thrill to move around 100's a nails and get targets all over the place. We have a lot of deer ticks and Lyme disease up here... I could bring some of that down for you :laughing7:

Very well done Brad! That half cent is just killer.

The other finds are really nice too. Congrats to both of you!

Thanks a bunch Tom! It was a ton of fun. It never gets old looking at half cents like that one.

Sweet half cent Brad, and nice work on the scissors! I'm sure Isaac will put that sifter to good use!

Thanks Steve. I was actually thinking about your lock plate when those scissors turned up. The way the oxidation was built up on top of the iron, most of the time means that it will flake off and there is a nice surface under there. The lock plate looked like it had similar oxidation as those scissors. Isaac has a killer spot with a large pit, so he will no doubt get some great use from it.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a key date as you know on the half cent, and even in that condition it might be worth a few hundred dollars. And those scissors came out really nice thanks to those awesome graphite anodes. You've really been bit in a major way by the pit digging bug, and that's a good thing. Great hunt guys!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great day, and the half is beautiful! I'm now considering building a sifter and visiting some old spots that were productive!

Thanks Bartek! You BOB boys should build a couple sifters and get to work. You'll be blown away at how much stuff is down there that we can't get to.

-Brad

Definitely a key date as you know on the half cent, and even in that condition it might be worth a few hundred dollars. And those scissors came out really nice thanks to those awesome graphite anodes. You've really been bit in a major way by the pit digging bug, and that's a good thing. Great hunt guys!

Thanks a ton man! I have a second set of scissors in the tank now, but they aren't nearly as nice. I owe the sifting addiction to you! You got me started on it and I could have never imagined how much stuff was down there.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, quite an adventure,, your finds are amazing.
Congrats on the 1/2 Cent. It's in pretty good shape.
How deep is that pit??

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for showing the kid the ropes and giving him that kick-butt sifter. You're an alright guy. The key date half cent is a great find and it's in great condition considering how they usually are dug.

I need to trade in my monstrosity of a sifter for a BradSifter 2000!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1811 half cent is gorgeous. I love the color of it. Nice find.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, quite an adventure,, your finds are amazing.
Congrats on the 1/2 Cent. It's in pretty good shape.
How deep is that pit??

Thanks man! I call them "pits" but they were more of "piles". The way I understand it, unless there was a hole that needed filling, they would just toss trash into the backyard or side yard. So trash piles are shallow and wide.... typically ending where the topsoil stops and clay begins. This one was about a foot deep.

Good on you for showing the kid the ropes and giving him that kick-butt sifter. You're an alright guy. The key date half cent is a great find and it's in great condition considering how they usually are dug.

I need to trade in my monstrosity of a sifter for a BradSifter 2000!

Thanks a ton Joey. Isaac is a really good guy and I bet destroys his American History classes in school :headbang:

The BS2000 :laughing7: got paint and a screen last night. Bill likes to rightfully joke with me that I paint them... but its only because I had a gallon of floor paint I'll never use and the wood doesn't absorb water when I hose it off. Ha

IMG_20160620_171705.jpg

That 1811 half cent is gorgeous. I love the color of it. Nice find.

Thanks a bunch Evolution! You gotta love the look of a green copper. It looked totally smooth until it dried out. It has some great contrast.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a hunt! You systematically cleaned that little area out, Congratulations! :occasion14:

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had an amazing day Brad! What a well-written post! I love especially how you kept all those nails and used them to analyze the age of the pit! I really appreciate you giving me the sifter... words can not describe how kind of you that was! I can't wait to put it to good use now! :) The half cent is astounding, I can't believe how rare that one is. The scissors turned out to be in great shape as well, you really have a knack for iron, which is always a good thing. I'll post my finds tonight. Its insane the amount of signals which couldn't have been found, even the famous XP Deus iron capabilities can't handle these types of sites, and that's when you know it's time to break out the sifter and move some dirt! It really does bring the site back to life. Thanks for showing me your process and I hope we can do it again real soon.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet relic finds! And an awesome half cent! Congrats!

The get together is "priceless"!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a ton buddy! Perhaps the half cent is rare and maybe it gets votes, but I would like to respectfully withdraw it from nomination. I've seen too many finds WAY more historical than a coin be passed up and not go banner, so just based on that I don't want to participate. I do sincerely appreciate it though man. The best part about Saturday was getting someone else addicted to sifting... and for all of us that means more posts on here with awesome finds.

Haha, well put Brad. I'm glad you caught the jest in my reply. I couldn't agree more as you know from our hilarious daily sidebar.

That said, that 1811 half cent is sweeeet and the scissors are amazing. Isaac from his posts seems like a real passionate hunter so it's not surprising he got hooked. Can't wait to see what he found.
Cheers buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions