Sifting with Isaac - 1811 Half Cent, Scissors, buttons and more..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For quite some time now, tnet "Isaac" and I have been trying to get together for a hunt. He had a spot that he had completely cleaned out, but he really wanted to get into sifting and he thought he knew where the trash pit was. I have a pretty crazy schedule with work and life, and I typically don't know until the day before if I can detect, but we managed to find a day that worked for both of us and I locked it into the calendar.

So on Saturday, I loaded up all my sifting gear, and brought along my T2 for Isaac to try out, and I met Isaac at his site at sunrise. We started off detecting the pit area. I generally like to dig some iron to see where to begin based on whats in the plug. I was hearing a ton of iron, but no real tell tale signs of a pit in the plugs. After 30 min or so detecting, I had a small brass ring and a pouch full of iron. Isaac did a really good job clearing out the signals from this area. So we decided to open up a pit section based on where Isaac had dug some good targets in the past. I gave him a quick run down of how I set up the tarp, cut and removed the sod, and began to break up the dirt. Turned out we were spot on with the first section we opened. This was awesome because working a productive pit is some of the most fun you can have in the field. We were quickly picking out pipe stems, buttons, pottery, glass and... LOTS of iron. In all we sifted about 6 sections and we amassed a huge pile of relics from the pit. We split up the finds at the end and here are the pieces I took home.

I will let Isaac share his stuff and I will try not to put any spoilers in this post!

IMG_20160620_130541771.jpg

This half cent came from deep in the side of a pit section.

IMG_20160619_093751.jpg

Neither of us knew it was a special date and I didn't find out it was a key date half cent until later in the day. Sadly there is some verdigris spots on the front and back. Only 63,140 were minted in 1811 :headbang: Not to long after the half cent, a colonial find surfaced that had me smiling for at least an hour... that one will be in Isaac's post.

IMG_20160619_093751 - Copy.jpg

These scissors came out looking nice and I could tell from the oxidation that some solid iron was under there. They came out of electrolysis this morning.

IMG_20160619_220134.jpg

I brought home more than 100 nails. A rough guess of the nail type ratios are about 10% rose head, 70% square, and 20% wire nails. Based on that, the majority of this pit would date early to mid 1800's, with some use in the later part of the 1700's and some use in the late 1800's/early 1900's when wire nails came into use.

IMG_20160620_124413660.jpg

A pewter button and a black glass button turned up along with a handful of tombac and flat buttons.

IMG_20160620_124401373.jpg

Unsure about the iron pendant piece, but it looked like it had something inside it at one point.

IMG_20160620_124431235.jpg

Isaac didn't know this going in, but I had planned on giving him my sifter. Isaac is a great guy and his passion for detecting reminds me of myself when I was his age and I started detecting. Its great to see young guys like Isaac so passionate about history and our hobby. He's going to make many many more incredible finds throughout the years. So he got the one and only.... way-over-engineered-with-ball-bearing-legs-sifter... and its even painted! I know he will put it to good use as we only scratched the surface of the trash pit at his site. Now he can return and sift on his own schedule and pull out some more amazing history from a site that has been pounded to death with a detector.

IMG_20160618_101439139.jpg

Yesterday I began construction of my new sifter... yes, it will also have ball bearing legs... and yes, I will be painting it :laughing7:

IMG_20160619_180922027.jpg

That was a lot of fun Isaac and I can't wait to see what else you pull from that pit. It's an insane amount of work to properly excavate a section, pick out the nails, unmask the targets, sort and separate all the finds... but its totally worth it in a good pit. Keep at it and sift down to the last bit as you know some of the best stuff we missed many times with our eyes and machines. Looking forward to your post from the sifting trip! Thanks a ton Isaac and glad you are now addicted to sifting :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 32

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome write up, post and half cent. I could really use a sifter underwater at some of my sites. I am sure it would be a ton of hard work and maybe pay off.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Brad, the half center remains on my bucket list. You certainly are into sifting and your displays show it. Congrats on another great day in the field. :occasion14:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a ton Allen! I'm looking forward to his post as well... I'm a little numb to it now but I will always be amazed at what gets unmasked when digging a pit. Its a thrill to move around 100's a nails and get targets all over the place. We have a lot of deer ticks and Lyme disease up here... I could bring some of that down for you :laughing7:

Brad we have our share of deer ticks down here but talked to the boys and the consensus is we would be glad to trade 59 Chiggers for each tick anyday:laughing7:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an amazing day Brad! What a well-written post! I love especially how you kept all those nails and used them to analyze the age of the pit! I really appreciate you giving me the sifter... words can not describe how kind of you that was! I can't wait to put it to good use now! :) The half cent is astounding, I can't believe how rare that one is. The scissors turned out to be in great shape as well, you really have a knack for iron, which is always a good thing. I'll post my finds tonight. Its insane the amount of signals which couldn't have been found, even the famous XP Deus iron capabilities can't handle these types of sites, and that's when you know it's time to break out the sifter and move some dirt! It really does bring the site back to life. Thanks for showing me your process and I hope we can do it again real soon.

Thanks Isaac! I'm very glad your pit was a success. I'm always saying how much stuff is masked, but I got to show you and it's pretty incredible what's really down there. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much. I can't wait to see what you sift out at that place. The nails are in the tumbler, so later I'll do an actual sort and count for you and let you know what the actual ratio is. It will certainly help date the most active period of the site. Thanks a ton for the fun, but exhausting day man! Ha.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a hunt! You systematically cleaned that little area out, Congratulations! :occasion14:

Thank you Professor! We did pretty good in that small area. The good news is the pit keeps going in both directions from where we sifted, so we get to see Isaac sift out some more goodies in the future.

Congrats on the key date half cent and other nice finds

Thanks Art! I was very surprised at the HC being key date. I decided to try and put this 1811 HC with 63,140 minted into perspective with some key date coins we know. There were 264,000 1916-D merc dimes minted and 852,000 1877 IHP's minted. Statistically, we should see FOUR 1916-D dimes dug for every 1811 HC and we should see THIRTEEN 1877 IHPs dug for ever 1811 HC! However, there are probably way fewer 1811's dug than those guesses as numbers. Surprisingly, the half cent is the least valuable of those, but value is irrelevant to me.... it's a cool relic in my eyes.

Sweet relic finds! And an awesome half cent! Congrats!

The get together is "priceless"!

Thank you Msbeepbeep! Definitely priceless seeing the younger generation enjoying this stuff so much.

Awesome write up, post and half cent. I could really use a sifter underwater at some of my sites. I am sure it would be a ton of hard work and maybe pay off.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

Thanks ScubaDetector! I've seen a relic dredge before and always thought running one of those at a historic boat landing or something would be incredibly fun. It's basically a dredge with a sifter attached. I bet there is some awesome stuff down there.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great details on the half cent! Hard to find any that old without some sort of blemish....especially for a copper. Wish I had that little copper. Great find!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a fantastic day! Impressive finds, and obviously the half cent is a superb find. Congrats on a great day sifting with Isaac, you guys kicked A$$!!! I'm thinking I need to get into this sifting....

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Brad, the half center remains on my bucket list. You certainly are into sifting and your displays show it. Congrats on another great day in the field. :occasion14:

Thanks a bunch Kevin! They certainly don't turn up often and they're typically toasted. Isaac got a DB Half Cent from the same pit area last week in fantastic condition. Sifting is awesome and can make those pounded sites more productive than they ever were.

Brad we have our share of deer ticks down here but talked to the boys and the consensus is we would be glad to trade 59 Chiggers for each tick anyday:laughing7:

Haha. We don't have to deal with chiggers up here. Something tells me I'd rather pick off a tick than have 59 chiggers on me though. Ha

Great details on the half cent! Hard to find any that old without some sort of blemish....especially for a copper. Wish I had that little copper. Great find!

Thanks Bill! It was a huge surprise and a lot of fun.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Isaac is a great kid and he had a blast he told me.That classic head should clean up nice.that will come off the surface if you carefully work on it. congrats!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome finds! I'd like to suggest that you post a how-to thread on constructing your sifter. I found a trash pit on my property and pulled out a few keepers just by eye but I'd love to sift it.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that is a fantastic day! Impressive finds, and obviously the half cent is a superb find. Congrats on a great day sifting with Isaac, you guys kicked A$$!!! I'm thinking I need to get into this sifting....

Thanks a bunch Mike! I've been detecting for a long time, but I'm pretty new to sifting... started last summer. I learn more and more each time out, and I'm getting more efficient... I can process 10 times the dirt than I did on my first trip. It's loads of tough work, but also incredibly fun. You should totally throw one together and find a pit to sift. Any mid 1800's house should have one.

Isaac is a great kid and he had a blast he told me.That classic head should clean up nice.that will come off the surface if you carefully work on it. congrats!

Thanks a ton Dave! He is a great kid and he kept saying how much fun it was. He has the tools to continue on his own time now, so I expect we see a lot of great things turn up as he sifts up some more history. I'll pick at that verdigris with a toothpick and see if I can get any more of it off. I know I can make it look better than the pictures I took for this post.

awesome finds! I'd like to suggest that you post a how-to thread on constructing your sifter. I found a trash pit on my property and pulled out a few keepers just by eye but I'd love to sift it.

Thanks dirtwizard! I'm nearly finished building this one and I didn't take pictures to document it. If I make another, I can do a how-to post though. There are a bunch of youtube videos. However its pretty straight forward... I use 1" primed pine trim board and rip them down to about 5". My new sifter is about 27" x 18" and after screw and gluing it together, I back out the bottom two screws and rip about 1/2" and inch off the bottom on the table saw before putting the screws back in. This gives me a frame piece to sandwich the 1/2" screen in and screw it all tight. 1/2" screen is really the most important and I got that galvanized screen in the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot. Otherwise, you can be creative on how big you make the box and how you attach the screen. For the legs most people just use bolts and washers to attach them and the washers let the swivel.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another very productive dig. While the half cent is a great find, I think my favorites are the scissors and the dark-colored button. Oh and the new sifter is looking good!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet scissors Brad and those half cents are a pretty rare find indeed..Sifting sounds like fun i still have my favorite late 1600's Cellar Hole way out in the woods i want to sift
I know exactly where the pit is..

~Blaze

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, congrats!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the second pair of scissors out of the tank and hot wax this morning. They aren't as nice as the first pair, and I could tell that going in based on the nodules of oxidation in a couple areas. But they still look great and will display very nice.

IMG_20160619_084309641.jpg

I always have a hard time dating something like this. The Hume book has a little information on scissors and shears. The design closely resembles these late colonial scissors... and they very well could be that old, but something tells me they are early 1800's. Both pairs appear riveted though, so they are likely pretty old.

IMG_20160621_121416.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another very productive dig. While the half cent is a great find, I think my favorites are the scissors and the dark-colored button. Oh and the new sifter is looking good!

Thanks Glenn! I agree about the scissors and I just posted the second set that are finally finished with preservation. Because they were looped handles, the Deus squawked a nice tone on both pairs and I was expecting a button. I was very happy when they turned up though.
Once the new sifter is done and has legs, I'll post a picture of it on its maiden sifting voyage... which will probably be my next post whenever it happens I can get out again. ha

Sweet scissors Brad and those half cents are a pretty rare find indeed..Sifting sounds like fun i still have my favorite late 1600's Cellar Hole way out in the woods i want to sift
I know exactly where the pit is..

~Blaze

Thanks a ton man! Reading your comment about knowing where the pit is at a 1600's cellar hole makes me drool. :laughing7: You gotta sift that one and post the incredible stuff that comes out of there.

Very nice finds, congrats!

Thanks Brad! Nice to see you're out on the water this summer. That looks like a ton of fun man.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I love that you gave him your sifter, highlight of the post for me. Way to share the passion with the next generation. Half cent isn't bad either:)
Can't wait to see your next sifter design, might motivate me to renovate mine.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that you gave him your sifter, highlight of the post for me. Way to share the passion with the next generation. Half cent isn't bad either:)
Can't wait to see your next sifter design, might motivate me to renovate mine.

Thanks a ton Evan! He was very happy when I told him... he went out to use it today, but sounds like rain ruined the sifting plans. It'll be cool to see his posts with what he finds sifting. I'll be sure to post a picture when my new sifter is done. I just have to make the legs and it'll be ready. Hopefully I'll get it out next week one evening.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be a good archeologist
Great job!!!!!!!!!!11

Jyverb64