Silver and steel in coinstar

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
I got a nice handful of coins at the coinstar yesterday, while I was at Walmart getting a prescription filled. Four Jamaican coins ($1 and $5), a Barbados 25 cent, a Canadian $1, some sticky US clad coins, and my favorites: a 1946 Rosie and a 1943 steel penny! You don't see those very often! With the coinstar machines, you just have to have lucky timing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_090552.jpg
    IMG_20200104_090552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20200104_090548.jpg
    IMG_20200104_090548.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
I never get this lucky, I always randomly check the coinstar machines for rejects. I’ve got a buddy who checks the soda machines for me. I use to deliver papers as a part time job when I was younger, and miss the days of the idiots who put foreign money or silver into the newspaper box. I found numerous what I call “grandpas coin stash” coins this way.

Always nice to pull a silver. I am fairly addicted to the CS machines. I am currently in Louisville Kentucky. Hunted down the coin start just to give it a peep! No luck

Always nice to pull a silver. I am fairly addicted to the CS machines. I am currently in Louisville Kentucky. Hunted down the coin start just to give it a peep! No luck

We have one in my town, and that’s it. The big city across the river from us has a few. The problem with the one in my town is the dang rejection tray is so loud when it spits them out that you can’t miss them coming out because of how loud they dump into reject bin

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice saves :icon_thumright:. Haven't had luck yet, always checking it during every visit to walmart. :zoom:

Nice finds from Coinstar. In 2019 I was fortunate enough to pull 15 silver coins and four 1943 steel cents.

Nice score, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

It is all about timing. I was not doing well at all checking the coin star, then in 2 weeks time, I pulled 3 silver Washington Quarters. Maybe I'll just pitch my tent in front of it !

We have one in my town, and that’s it. The big city across the river from us has a few. The problem with the one in my town is the dang rejection tray is so loud when it spits them out that you can’t miss them coming out because of how loud they dump into reject bin
Time to put a little pillow in the reject bin? :)

I got a nice handful of coins at the coinstar yesterday, while I was at Walmart getting a prescription filled. Four Jamaican coins ($1 and $5), a Barbados 25 cent, a Canadian $1, some sticky US clad coins, and my favorites: a 1946 Rosie and a 1943 steel penny! You don't see those very often! With the coinstar machines, you just have to have lucky timing.

Nice finds! I just found my first non modern coins in the coin star...
20200104_222344.jpg

Thats a good score people are to cheap in my town to leave even a penny in the coinstar lol

Thats a good score people are to cheap in my town to leave even a penny in the coinstar lol

Hello A2coins! Nice to see you again!
I just found my first silver in the coin star... ��

Thats a good sign for 2020

In addition to the sound effects, there may be a display reminding customers to "check the reject tray". One of my credit unions that I use to dump coins has gone to coinstars free for bank customers. Every few minutes of use, an electronic display reminds you in a large font to check the reject tray. I've not found a single reject in one of those.

In addition to the sound effects, there may be a display reminding customers to "check the reject tray". One of my credit unions that I use to dump coins has gone to coinstars free for bank customers. Every few minutes of use, an electronic display reminds you in a large font to check the reject tray. I've not found a single reject in one of those.

Ours are like this too. You have a bright green display that tells you to check it

Ours are like this too. You have a bright green display that tells you to check it

Yup, same here. It does make me check the trash can next to it for coins that got rejected repeatedly until the user gave up. No luck yet but I’m keeping hope alive!

Last edited:
Yup, same here. It does make me check the trash can next to it for coins that got rejected you til the user gave up. No luck yet but I’m keeping hope alive!

Keep checking! I found a Barber dime in that trash can a few days after reading Dozer's post in 2018 about finding a large cent in the trash can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back