🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Silver bracelet with charms made from British Sixpence!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone! Right up front I want to acknowledge that this bracelet was not found today. I found it a few weeks ago at the dairy farm mentioned here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...rame-two-ihc-s-new-dairy-farm-permission.html

However, today I returned to the dairy farm and talked with the farm owner about the bracelet because I've been doing some research on the item.

The first thing that's cool about this bracelet is that the chain itself is sterling silver. At first I thought this was just another silver charm bracelet. I was wrong.
The second cool thing is that the bracelet has charms, and the charms have dates. I think we all love items with names/dates because they make the item personal. (More on the dates in a moment)

But for me the coolest thing about the bracelet was what I noticed as I looked more closely at the charms themselves. "Behind" the date inscriptions were some other letters, and as I looked with a magnifying glass the word "SIXPENCE" became visible. It didn't take too long to realize that there was a whole design on the "charm".

And then I realized that the charm was actually a repurposed British sixpence coin (50% silver). The date of the coin on the August charm is even visible: 1944.

How freakin' cool is that?!? Someone made a bracelet by repurposing British coins! (All four charms are made from sixpence coins.)
Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.

As for this specific piece, I learned from the farm owner that the bracelet came from the jewelry box of his aunt which was accidentally spilled at some point in the past.
And from my research it looks like the dates are related to the parents of the aunt (birth of father in 1913, mother in 1920. We're not 100% sure about the 1940 dates; they're too close together to be child births. We think engagement/marriage).

I've found a lot of very cool items over the past few years with my metal detector, but this has to rank right up there as one of the coolest.
I gave the bracelet back to the farm owner, of course. I made up a Google Doc (screen shot included below) and gave that to the owner along with the bracelet. He and his girlfriend seemed genuinely excited, and they said they were going to talk to the aunt about the piece being recovered.

While it would have been cool to have that bracelet in my collection I felt strongly it needed to be back with the family who originally owned it. For my own collection I bought two 1944 British sixpence coins and put them in a flip with a notation about the bracelet, so that when I'm older it'll trigger the memory.

Thanks for taking a look!

- Brian

yNab2Y1.jpg S1ndJJm.jpg
TuH6jpy.jpg

ZlHj98o.png

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find Brian! Very unique piece. I’m sure the family is delighted. Btw, was the recovery performed by the Equinox or the Deus?

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really unique and cool find. It is a piece any one of us would love to add to our collection. I have voted honorable mention for returning it the the place it really does belong. You are a good person. Great job, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool personal find - congrats.

To answer this;
''Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.''

Very common place in this period. Most common is bracelets out of silver 3
pence's & pendants out of cut out coins.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to be able to put a date with things we find. Nice gesture to give up the bracelet to the land owner. Gary

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool recovery and return Brian, I put in a Honorable Mention vote as well[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif], [/FONT]:occasion14:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find Brian! Very unique piece. I’m sure the family is delighted. Btw, was the recovery performed by the Equinox or the Deus?

Found it with the Deus, Scolino. I was using the Deus because I was up close to the house and there was various bits of aluminum to sort through. The jewelry box was apparently "knocked off" the front porch into the yard, although the bracelet was far enough from the porch to have needed some force to get it out there. I wonder if there's more to the jewelry box story that the family isn't telling me....

- Brian

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool bracelet and cool story! Good on you for returning it. I bet the aunt was heartbroken to lose such a personal piece of jewelry!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. I don't see any mention of it, so I'll point out the obvious.... the coins have been cut into a heart, diamond, spade, and club. Besides it being the four suits of a deck of cards, I wonder what the significance was to the owner?

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool. I don't see any mention of it, so I'll point out the obvious.... the coins have been cut into a heart, diamond, spade, and club. Besides it being the four suits of a deck of cards, I wonder what the significance was to the owner?

Oh my gosh - I honestly didn't even notice that. When I looked at it I thought it was two hearts, a diamond and....whatever the August one is. I did not make the connection to the suits in a deck of cards.
I would ask the family about this detail - one more detail that makes this bracelet so cool - but it appears that the family members I'm talking to are pretty far-removed from the family member that owned this bracelet. I get the impression that there are some...complex family dynamics that no one wants to mess with. So I can only push so hard for info (despite my burning curiosity!).

Very cool personal find - congrats.

To answer this;
''Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.''

Very common place in this period. Most common is bracelets out of silver 3
pence's & pendants out of cut out coins.

Thanks for this information Crusader. Obviously the 1940's in Europe were a time of turmoil. Did people use coins as components in jewelry because they were easier to come by than raw precious metals?

- Brian

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Thanks for this information Crusader. Obviously the 1940's in Europe were a time of turmoil. Did people use coins as components in jewelry because they were easier to come by than raw precious metals?''

Good question, I can only guess the same as you. We stopped putting silver in coins by 1946, so any silver coins before this date became more desirable & were still in circulation to be used for other purposes.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and back story, Brian! Congratulations on the finds and on returning the bracelet to family members. Thanks for your search and actions!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife has 3 of them given to her by her Scottish grandmother

Very nice! Do you mind sharing photos, if it's not too much trouble? I'd love to see more of them!

- Brian

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool find. Too bad you had to give it u, but when you know who it belongs to, you have to do the right thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread