What's new

Silver buckle help

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this silver buckle tonight at an old site. Thought it was a brooch til I got home. The forked piece was still in this and I still have it, so it is defenitly a buckle. Can someone tell me an age? And What the hallmark on the back means? If you cant see it, it is a lion in the upper left hand corner in the second pic. Thank you for any help.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 375
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 382
That is a fantastic and rare find--a complete 18th c. silver buckle. :)

There are probably some methods to use that would take the rust off the silver without harming the silver. You should ask a chemist friend if you know of anyone, or inquire at a university. You could also try wood bleach--I know it removes rust stains from gold but I don't know about silver.


Regards,


Buck
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Buck. I have been usuin a wet toothpick. It comes off its just slow. Got the front side looking better. Posted some updated pics in todays finds if you would like to have a look. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom