What's new

Silver buckle help

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this silver buckle tonight at an old site. Thought it was a brooch til I got home. The forked piece was still in this and I still have it, so it is defenitly a buckle. Can someone tell me an age? And What the hallmark on the back means? If you cant see it, it is a lion in the upper left hand corner in the second pic. Thank you for any help.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 375
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 382
Very nice buckle indeed :o

British Sterling mark but without the assayer or date letter :icon_scratch:

I will have to think a bit on age
 
Upvote 0
I was hoping you would respond Cru. Mull it over a bit, and let me know what you come up with. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
I was hoping you would respond Cru. Mull it over a bit, and let me know what you come up with. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure its a ornate shoe buckle, & 19th Century, hard to narrow it down anymore
 
Upvote 0
Better then nothing, I didnt have a clue on this one. Thank you Cru! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Ohhh......that's nice :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Shaun. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Better then nothing, I didnt have a clue on this one. Thank you Cru! :thumbsup:

I can't be sure, it does quite fit any of the book examples. It could be a Knee buckle, if its smaller? How big is it? I hope its late 18th C but I would expect a markers mark on such a fine piece :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
It is a 1700s knee buckle. Do you have the inner parts? Could you post those as well. Silver knee/shoe buckles were worn only by wealthy settlers. This is a rare find.

Kirk :hello:
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking 1700's Cru, but I know that you would know more about this then me. The buckle is 1 and 3/8 inches long.
 
Upvote 0
Sure do have the guts heres a pic. There a rusty mess but here they are. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • buckle3.webp
    buckle3.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Kirk PA said:
It is a 1700s knee buckle. Do you have the inner parts? Could you post those as well. Silver knee/shoe buckles were worn only by wealthy settlers. This is a rare find.

Kirk :hello:

I'm also beginning to lean that way, there are some similar (ish) silver Shoe Buckles with flower & openwork design from the 18th C. Must have been a tax dodge not to assayer it :icon_scratch:

As you say a rare & high status piece, still not had one myself :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
I was thinking 1700's Cru, but I know that you would know more about this then me. The buckle is 1 and 3/8 inches long.

not really it throw me somewhat, the crispness of design looked later, very good workmanship
 
Upvote 0
Certainly the best I have dug, without a doubt.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was hoping it was going to be a rare dig. I knew it was rare for me. :thumbsup: Thanks CRU!
 
Upvote 0
Nice one! Don't see many silver buckles dug! The closest I ever came was a few pieces, one showing some of the hallmarks, it would have been even better than the one here! But it wasn't meant to be.
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
I was hoping it was going to be a rare dig. I knew it was rare for me. :thumbsup: Thanks CRU!
To put this into context, there are only 73 Silver Buckles (of any type) recorded on the whole of the Portable Antiquities Scheme & none of them match yours. (& not many on the UKDFD)
http://www.finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/58496
They have the above with a similar Lion mark & date it to 1650-1750, however they state the mark was used until 1820, & I think yours would be in the later 1700s rather than earlier :-\

So rare is probably an under-statement, try extremely rare, & in that condition ::)
 
Upvote 0
Your making my day CRU. I had no idea it would be this rare.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom