What's new

Silver Day at the Roman Site...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,543
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5 hours in the rain showers. My hunch of this annex to the site limits finally paid off.

12 Scrappies
Silver Roman of Faustina Senior AD 150ish
First ever imitation Roman Silver (clipped on two edges)
Hammered Medieval Italian Soldino

Now finished the limit of this area, need to track down another at the weekend (if other fields are not available).
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 802
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 776
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 763
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 759
Upvote 0
amazing as always!
 
Well done on your finds. You are definitely on a roll over there. Thank god you're not in my neck of the woods, there would be nothing here left to dig.
 
spartacus53 said:
Well done on your finds. You are definitely on a roll over there. Thank god you're not in my neck of the woods, there would be nothing here left to dig.

Cheers, thats what I want the hawkers to think/know :icon_pirat:
 
plehbah said:
I envy greatly the Roman silver coins. Those are beautiful. I have heard many people refer to coins as "historic", but I think the Roman examples really fit the bill (this is congratulatory idiom).

That being said, I wish that someday you could experience the thrill of the 1943 murky dime, or the almost shameful exhilaration at wresting from the dark Earth the beautiful and coveted dirty wheaty penny.

Oh, well.... I guess you cannot have it all!

Nice coins!



Ha ha! I've seen him pull a V Nickel ;D
 
Awesome find's as alway's.....How much land do you have to hunt over there,sound's like if there's no crop's it's available? Great stuff!!
 
shaun7 said:
plehbah said:
I envy greatly the Roman silver coins. Those are beautiful. I have heard many people refer to coins as "historic", but I think the Roman examples really fit the bill (this is congratulatory idiom).

That being said, I wish that someday you could experience the thrill of the 1943 murky dime, or the almost shameful exhilaration at wresting from the dark Earth the beautiful and coveted dirty wheaty penny.

Oh, well.... I guess you cannot have it all!

Nice coins!



Ha ha! I've seen him pull a V Nickel ;D

You know, how much I like my early Roman Silver, & its funny how they turn up sometimes.
However, even though this is mostly a 4th Century site, therefore I was more likely to get a Silqilua than a Denarius, I said in the field tonight that we may get a Roman Silver from this area. It was on the edge of the site, & not amongst the other bronzes, but I just had that hunch, it was going to happen in this area. :-*
 
Great finds!!

Surely the Italian coin has to be a first :icon_scratch:
 
civilman1 said:
Awesome find's as alway's.....How much land do you have to hunt over there,sound's like if there's no crop's it's available? Great stuff!!

how much in total? if so about 7000 acres

or this field? about 100 acres

We only hunt when its harvested (stubble), after its ploughed & rolled, plus a few days after its drilled (seeded). These can be very short windows, about 3 weeks sometimes, depends on the crop rotation.
 
shaun7 said:
Great finds!!

Surely the Italian coin has to be a first :icon_scratch:

Its my 3rd or 4th, know as 'Galley' Halfpennies. Came over once a year in the boat fulls, from Italian bankers, payrolling the English Merchants.
 
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Great finds!!

Surely the Italian coin has to be a first :icon_scratch:

Its my 3rd or 4th, know as 'Galley' Halfpennies. Came over once a year in the boat fulls, from Italian bankers, payrolling the English Merchants.



That's what i thought you'd say ::) :D
 
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Most sites are about 70/1 (Bronze/Silver)
Last year we got it down to 40/1 over the year

This site is 100/1 so we think that more silver will turn up next year.
 
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Most sites are about 70/1 (Bronze/Silver)
Last year we got it down to 40/1 over the year

This site is 100/1 so we think that more silver will turn up next year.
Nice Silver Cru :headbang: a long time in coming, don't you think that the amout of Silvers that might be found would be due to the type of Roman occupation :read2:

take the Roman road I have been doing, this obviously has seen a lot of soldier activity, hence the high percentage of Silvers to Bronze, could it be that your site has not seen the same type of occupation :dontknow:
 
For a guy that can't go over there to hunt I sincerely enjoy your posts thanks. Congrats on the finds.

Burdie
 
Fantastic day of hunting!!
 
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Most sites are about 70/1 (Bronze/Silver)
Last year we got it down to 40/1 over the year

This site is 100/1 so we think that more silver will turn up next year.
Nice Silver Cru :headbang: a long time in coming, don't you think that the amout of Silvers that might be found would be due to the type of Roman occupation :read2:

take the Roman road I have been doing, this obviously has seen a lot of soldier activity, hence the high percentage of Silvers to Bronze, could it be that your site has not seen the same type of occupation :dontknow:

Oh yeah, it has a lot to do with the status of occuption & the types of activities which took place. I was just generalising across the sites. This is our 5th Roman Silver but our first Denarius from the site. This is a middle status Villa Site which was most successful in the 4th century, however, I believe it had routes in the Iron Age (1st C BC).
This site is extremely close to the orginal Roman Auxilliary Road which was the only 1 North at the time & lead to the only crossing of the river, so it to was very close to where the many Soldiers marched North. However, yours hay have had an Inn or the like?? or a small market area?
 
plehbah said:
I envy greatly the Roman silver coins. Those are beautiful. I have heard many people refer to coins as "historic", but I think the Roman examples really fit the bill (this is congratulatory idiom).

That being said, I wish that someday you could experience the thrill of the 1943 murky dime, or the almost shameful exhilaration at wresting from the dark Earth the beautiful and coveted dirty wheaty penny.

Oh, well.... I guess you cannot have it all!

Nice coins!

that's funny :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
plehbah said:
Crusader, have you ever considered taking a look at the relative percentages of silver and bronze coins you find when compared to the age of the site and type of site you found them at?

I think it would be very interesting. You have acquired a bunch of stuff, you actually have some numbers and GPS data to work with, and it might be kind of fun.

Just a thought......

We already do this.

Most sites are about 70/1 (Bronze/Silver)
Last year we got it down to 40/1 over the year

This site is 100/1 so we think that more silver will turn up next year.
Nice Silver Cru :headbang: a long time in coming, don't you think that the amout of Silvers that might be found would be due to the type of Roman occupation :read2:

take the Roman road I have been doing, this obviously has seen a lot of soldier activity, hence the high percentage of Silvers to Bronze, could it be that your site has not seen the same type of occupation :dontknow:

Oh yeah, it has a lot to do with the status of occuption & the types of activities which took place. I was just generalising across the sites. This is our 5th Roman Silver but our first Denarius from the site. This is a middle status Villa Site which was most successful in the 4th century, however, I believe it had routes in the Iron Age (1st C BC).
This site is extremely close to the orginal Roman Auxilliary Road which was the only 1 North at the time & lead to the only crossing of the river, so it to was very close to where the many Soldiers marched North. However, yours hay have had an Inn or the like?? or a small market area?
See what you meen :P our road was the main route North for the Romans, so would have had a very high percentage of soldiers traveling up and down, so yeah proberbly inns and trading places for them to spend, loose, and gamble there earnings :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom