✅ SOLVED Silver Ear Ring ID

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone put a date on this silver ear ring I found a few days ago. It was found in a garbage dump outside an old mining camp, where there was some old garbage and more newer stuff mixed together. The newer stuff was from the 1970s (based on a 1971 penny I found and some plastic lids) and the oldest probably from the early 1900s, since there was purple glass shards, red Indian pottery sherds, and broken cork top bottles here and there. And from what Ive learned online this style of screw thing for attaching to your ear was invented in 1909, and is not commonly seen on modern jewelry. Im thinking it dates somewhere between the 1920s and the 1970s, but it would be nice to narrow it down a little more. There is writing on it, but I cant make anything out apart from the "925" mark in the center. These are the best photos I could get, but if you need more Ill try to upload some better ones. And in case you cant tell from the photo, its just a metal ball, which feel hollows, and the screw part for attaching to your ear. Im not sure, but I think only the screw part is silver, but I could be wrong.

DSC04574.jpg DSC04576.jpg

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I can't quite makeout the first part, but the top word is Mexico.
The other word looks like it's GHERADEN, can't tell for sure.

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These screw on / clip on earrings were very common up until the 60's. Today it is very unusual for a young lady not to have her ears pierced at a young age.
Due to heavy or large earrings, some ear lobes get torn. After a torn ear lobe experience, some women will resort back to wearing clip on earrings only.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both, I think you're right on that. Im only 40 miles from Mexico so its not a surprise it came from down there. Im going to look up Gheraden now and see if I can find anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. I can see it now. Thank you so much. Its just so small, hard for me to look at.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know when they started putting "Hecho en Mexico" on their products down there?

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
nhbenz,
Thanks for the Spanish lesion.
My Spanish sucks....
I'm sure if I had the time to look I would have found it.
Heck looking at some of my wife's jewelry I see we have some with the same marks.

Upvote 0

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both, I think you're right on that. Im only 40 miles from Mexico so its not a surprise it came from down there. Im going to look up Gheraden now and see if I can find anything.

Are you anywhere near Ajo? I was out there poking around last week in some dry washes, didn't get to bring my detector but I will next time im out there. Lots of cool old relics out there.

Upvote 0

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh cool right on, yeah not to far away then here. Yeah there is some promising areas around...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread