What's new

Silver figure found metal detecting 1715 fleet location? Very odd

Martinm1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2021
Messages
84
Reaction score
409
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000001091.webp
1000001087.webp
found this metal detecting on the beach in vero beach florida. No idea what it is but on my nox 800 it was ringing up like silver and looks like silver. I'm having a hard time cleaning it. Does anyone have any ideas what this is and might have been used for???? Its the strangest find I've ever dug on a beach for sure
 

Attachments

  • 20250906_163153.webp
    20250906_163153.webp
    544.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20250906_174930.webp
    IMG_20250906_174930.webp
    195.6 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 16
View attachment 2224078View attachment 2224079found this metal detecting on the beach in vero beach florida. No idea what it is but on my nox 800 it was ringing up like silver and looks like silver. I'm having a hard time cleaning it. Does anyone have any ideas what this is and might have been used for???? Its the strangest find I've ever dug on a beach for sure
1st thing that most fall for is the "It rang up like"
Many different things found can fall into the same VDI #.
Casted, probably German Silver, pewter, threaded, a final off something like this for example.
Screenshot_20250907_084856_Google.webp
 
1st thing that most fall for is the "It rang up like"
Many different things found can fall into the same VDI #.
Casted, probably German Silver, pewter, threaded, a final off something like this for example.
View attachment 2224083
So a decoration on some sort of silver piece? Any idea on what it is though?
 
An acid test will tell you if it's silver or not. So will the spit test, but, that might take a lot of spit! :laughing7:
 
An acid test will tell you if it's silver or not. So will the spit test, but, that might take a lot of spit! :laughing7:
I tested it with silver acid and the mark held, but what's the spit test?
 
The silver test kit I use makes the acid turn a certain color depending on it's purity. The spit test for small silver items is this.....take a piece of aluminum foil large enough to enclose the silver item. place the item in the foil, spit a decent amount of saliva onto the item, then wrap the foil tightly around the item. Hold it tight for a couple of minutes. I should start to get hot. Unwrap the item and smell it. Rotten egg smell indicates silver.
 
I think you have a winner there...high probability of being 1715 material in my opinion. Other silver finds look very similar and this would be what was listed as "worked silver" in the ships manifest records. Worked silver was listed on almost all the ships manifest records and on every ship in the 1715 fleet disaster. Bring it up to mclartys museum and see what they think of it.....in my eyes I have no doubt that is 1715 material....congrats!! I may be wrong about this, but I definitely believe its 1715 !!
 
That is an interesting find. The threaded insert looks more modern than 1715. Wouldn't they use a hammered or soldered attachment?
That was my thought too. Did they have SAE threads back then?
 
Also, is that threaded stud steel? Silver also? If steel, why isn't it rusty? If stainless, it's not old.
 
Good find for sure :) Good luck on the ID
 
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's a modern statuette of the diety Ganesha, the Hindu god of wisdom and prosperity. It is traditional for Hindus to throw statuettes of this deity into the water. They are often made of brass, nickle silver, or zinc often attached to a wooden base by a threaded rod. Yours is probably a zinc alloy which is why it looks much older than it is, the salt water having chewed it up. But heck, maybe you're blessed now.
il_570xN.3324630673_hj72.webp
 
View attachment 2224078View attachment 2224079found this metal detecting on the beach in vero beach florida. No idea what it is but on my nox 800 it was ringing up like silver and looks like silver. I'm having a hard time cleaning it. Does anyone have any ideas what this is and might have been used for???? Its the strangest find I've ever dug on a beach for sure
Hindu and Santeria related sacrifices from flowers to god icons along s. Fl. beaches are not uncommon. We found 4 heavy solid finely cast and painted plaster 20" tall Hindu god statues, including Ganesh in one spot at a Broward county beach. All had the hands broken or cut off; this made me think they could be Santeria or voodoo sacrifices and may also be why your piece is broken. I had previously found Christian icons, like a statuette of Mary with baby Jesus , with baby's head broken off. It had about 100 pennies scattered in the water around it, and a 17lb ingot of lead. Lead "charms"cast as an oar, ship's wheel, old style key and other items are pretty commonly found in the water too. I don't think your piece is silver or old, but it is probably a cultural artifact revealing fairly hidden practices.

QuoteRep
 
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's a modern statuette of the diety Ganesha, the Hindu god of wisdom and prosperity. It is traditional for Hindus to throw statuettes of this deity into the water. They are often made of brass, nickle silver, or zinc often attached to a wooden base by a threaded rod. Yours is probably a zinc alloy which is why it looks much older than it is, the salt water having chewed it up. But heck, maybe you're blessed now.
View attachment 2224353
Well....I surely didn't think about that....and I dont know why I didn't pick up on the bolt threads, but your idea sounds more plausible !! 🫡
 
Well....I surely didn't think about that....and I dont know why I didn't pick up on the bolt threads, but your idea sounds more plausible !! 🫡
Also, being from NYC I have encountered Hindu offerings in the water so often in so many different states of decay that the general shape of them stands out to me. I have found and researched many Hindu gods due to finding their statuettes. Ganesha is one of the most common ones I find and is easily identified by his four arms, two always raised on opposite sides of his head, giving a distinctive shape to the artifact even when heavily worn out. I have found him in hollow silver before, but very tiny figure only an inch or so and a couple of grams in weight, much more common to find him in solid brass, zinc, or various forms of pot metal. The one you want to find is Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth, I have found a 1 inch tall statuette of her in pure solid silver, felt like Indiana Jones that day.
 
Also, being from NYC I have encountered Hindu offerings in the water so often in so many different states of decay that the general shape of them stands out to me. I have found and researched many Hindu gods due to finding their statuettes. Ganesha is one of the most common ones I find and is easily identified by his four arms, two always raised on opposite sides of his head, giving a distinctive shape to the artifact even when heavily worn out. I have found him in hollow silver before, but very tiny figure only an inch or so and a couple of grams in weight, much more common to find him in solid brass, zinc, or various forms of pot metal.
I have found a couple here too....I was wishing it to be 1715, and looked right past the bolt !! Maybe next time for @Martinm1 will be better....sorry I got you excited brother !! My bad !!
 
I have found a couple here too....I was wishing it to be 1715, and looked right past the bolt !! Maybe next time for @Martinm1 will be better....sorry I got you excited brother !! My bad !!
Its ok because now I'll have the right luck to find all those missing gold coins from the 1715 fleet lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom