What's new

Silver is Going Crazy!!

Sand Swinger

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2025
Messages
711
Reaction score
1,823
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field PI
Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab X-Terra Elite
Previously owned: Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro & XS-2 Pro,
Garrett ATPro & ACE 350,
Fisher 1220X, White's Coinmaster IV, Heathkit.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Silver crossed $60/oz today and it’s now just a few cents away from hitting $61/oz. It's gonna be a wild ride!

1765312046437.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yeah buddy, I've heard that copper prices are rising as well. Interesting is that most Silver is mined as a byproduct when the miners are mining copper, lead & zinc. Silver is one of the metals that they find/process from the same mine as they're sourcing those other metals. Talk about multi-tasking, lol.
My career was dealing in mining equipment. I'm retired now, but the excitement of this boom in metal prices is like nothing ever before. Doubt I could keep up with all the potential business that's gotta be going on now at this stage in life. I'm liking the relaxation and not dealing with all the competition is like being in heaven.
 
Yeah buddy, I've heard that copper prices are rising as well. Interesting is that most Silver is mined as a byproduct when the miners are mining copper, lead & zinc. Silver is one of the metals that they find/process from the same mine as they're sourcing those other metals. Talk about multi-tasking, lol.
Screenshot_20260125_220739_Chrome.webp
 
My local pm buyer has been giving in around a dollar a pound for silver on copper wares. Behind the counter is a maybe 4' square plywood box full of that stuff. When I was there once a lady walked in with a good sized platter of silver on copper plate. I could see on her face she was hoping she might get some good cash out of it. The look on her face changed rather quickly when when she was only offered six dollars. Someone probably told her that her plater might be worth a small fortune.
 
Last edited:
My local pm buyer has been giving in around a dollar a pound for silver on copper wares. Behind the counter is a maybe 4' square plywood box full of that stuff. When I was there once a lady walked in with a good sized platter of silver on copper plate. I could see on her face she was hoping she might get some good cash out of it. The look on her face changed rather quickly when when she was only offered six dollars. Someone probably told her that her plater might be worth a small fortune.
EP Copper or EPbrass is still worth the #2 copper or Yellow brass price.
 
EP Copper or EPbrass is still worth the #2 copper or Yellow brass price.
OK, I was doing a little looking online to see if I could find out what grade of copper is generally used in that old silver plate copper stuff. I wasn't really finding much on that. Guess the web still has a bit more to add to it in whats still locked up in the written words on paper and in the minds of those who are still breathing. Thanks!
 
OK, I was doing a little looking online to see if I could find out what grade of copper is generally used in that old silver plate copper stuff. I wasn't really finding much on that. Guess the web still has a bit more to add to it in whats still locked up in the written words on paper and in the minds of those who are still breathing. Thanks!
I bought silver plate as the above mentioned grades of metal.
Now since that post I looked at a recovery video on plated material.

Reed & Barton silver plated tray yielded 4.6% pure silver.
The price of silver was @ $16 an ounce at the time of the making of this video.
He lost money (nitric, material cost, power)
It was done to educate instead of profit.
Today this 15.2 grams would be profit.



Over the past few months I have watched/read hundreds of content on silver recovery.
Still at the stage of being dangerous. ( A little knowledge can be that)
Though I know more than I did when I started going down this rabbit hole.

I wrote my dangerous goods WHMIS for transporting my dangerous goods (huge savings) have a few chemical companies that confirmed bulk sales to me.
Lined up material to process (breakers in the tune of 10-12 tons a year) From a close buddy that will direct the stream to me, "no problem Jim".

It's a beginning of something that will generate a revenue stream, another project to keep the rust off the body.
 
1769443226355.webp
 
Yesterday, I attended a coin show attempting to sell 40 oz of sterling silver (medals and silverware). No one wanted it, saying the smelters are back loaded for another 6 months.
What is your experience of attempting to sell sterling today?
Don in SoCal
 
OK, I’m taking a risk here because I don’t know this person, I don’t know if this information is legit or just a bunch of BS. But I was thinking, what if it isn’t BS? So I’m sharing this just in case this information is legit.

But again, let me state up front and clearly that I DON’T KNOW THIS PERSON SO I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN TRUST THIS INFORMATION, but I’m curious and it will be interesting to see if it has any merit, or if it’s just BS and noise.

The wife showed me this, got this message on her cell by her chat group that’s frequented by a lot of investors in Silver, Gold, etc. My dad always told me that “even a turtle doesn’t get ahead unless he sticks his neck out”, so what the heck, I’ll stick my neck out. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing so let’s see how this plays out. Here’s the message she received:

OMG
My insider in Washington told me something that will blow everyone’s mind.
Can’t say anything but watch what happens to Silver and Gold when Futures open tonight.
The world will be shocked.
Hmmm, I'm starting to think that message my wife got might just have some truth to it.

1769447657349.webp
 
Yesterday, I attended a coin show attempting to sell 40 oz of sterling silver (medals and silverware). No one wanted it, saying the smelters are back loaded for another 6 months.
What is your experience of attempting to sell sterling today?
Don in SoCal
Were you at the Liberty Station show?
 
I bought silver plate as the above mentioned grades of metal.
Now since that post I looked at a recovery video on plated material.

Reed & Barton silver plated tray yielded 4.6% pure silver.
The price of silver was @ $16 an ounce at the time of the making of this video.
He lost money (nitric, material cost, power)
It was done to educate instead of profit.
Today this 15.2 grams would be profit.



Over the past few months I have watched/read hundreds of content on silver recovery.
Still at the stage of being dangerous. ( A little knowledge can be that)
Though I know more than I did when I started going down this rabbit hole.

I wrote my dangerous goods WHMIS for transporting my dangerous goods (huge savings) have a few chemical companies that confirmed bulk sales to me.
Lined up material to process (breakers in the tune of 10-12 tons a year) From a close buddy that will direct the stream to me, "no problem Jim".

It's a beginning of something that will generate a revenue stream, another project to keep the rust off the body.

Boy that guy went all out to solve the issue of silver plate and what amount of silver is there. Even at today's prices I would never screw around with all that. I've noticed the silver plate that ends up at the thrift stores I frequent are purchased rather quickly lately. They're probably being bought by those next in line for a learning lesson on whats a treasure and whats not. Plus the thrift stores are increasing the prices on plate. They ain't like two bucks like that example this YouTube chemists demonstrated with. A piece like what he had would be around 8 to 12 bucks lately.
 
Boy that guy went all out to solve the issue of silver plate and what amount of silver is there. Even at today's prices I would never screw around with all that. I've noticed the silver plate that ends up at the thrift stores I frequent are purchased rather quickly lately. They're probably being bought by those next in line for a learning lesson on whats a treasure and whats not. Plus the thrift stores are increasing the prices on plate. They ain't like two bucks like that example this YouTube chemists demonstrated with. A piece like what he had would be around 8 to 12 bucks lately.
He has quite a few different videos on processing different types of silver.
 
Were you at the Liberty Station show?
Yes, saw many members from my Carlsbad/Oceanside club and John Rogers (owner of John Franklin,a friend for over 25 years). No one wanted to touch 40 ozs of Sterling.
Actually, one dealer said if I were really in need, he'd give me 30% of melt. I declined.
Don in SoCal
 
Yes, saw many members from my Carlsbad/Oceanside club and John Rogers (owner of John Franklin,a friend for over 25 years). No one wanted to touch 40 ozs of Sterling.
Actually, one dealer said if I were really in need, he'd give me 30% of melt. I declined.
Don in SoCal
Silver was $103 on the weekend.
Now my math must be off because that offer works out to be $28.62
The buyer up here will give you $2935.00 Which works out to be 77..65%

I just shake my head at these guys that offer these low prices at the shows.
 
Yes, saw many members from my Carlsbad/Oceanside club and John Rogers (owner of John Franklin,a friend for over 25 years). No one wanted to touch 40 ozs of Sterling.
Actually, one dealer said if I were really in need, he'd give me 30% of melt. I declined.
Don in SoCal
I debated about going. My detecting buddies went, but, I figured it would just be a crazy silverfest. I wasn't looking for anything special anyway. Maybe next time.
 
cudamark,
While attempting to sell Sterling was a dud, I was successful selling all my CSA bills and 100+ year-old US currency. But noone wanted my 1000 dinar Iraqi bills in their original 100 bill packs.

Yesterday, I drove my the Gold Bullion store in Carlsbad and saw a line outside. Do you think most were buyers or seller?
Don in SoCal
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom