What's new

Silver jewelry, costume jewelry, maybe not jewelry?

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,941
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need help with an id of this item please. I can take additional pictures at different angles if need be. I found this on an 1870's farmstead in DeKalb, IL. It is 3/4" long by 1/4" wide. It looks to be silver as it was not corroded, and has a nice darker patina on the underside. It seems to be hammered from underneath, and the top/front side looks to have designs of stars? on it. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone can I.D. this, I know someone on here can. Thanks a bunch!
 

Attachments

  • coins 013.webp
    coins 013.webp
    16 KB · Views: 466
  • coins 014.webp
    coins 014.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 463
  • coins 015.webp
    coins 015.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 447
  • coins 015.webp
    coins 015.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 439
  • coins 016.webp
    coins 016.webp
    17 KB · Views: 465
  • coins 013.webp
    coins 013.webp
    16 KB · Views: 444
  • coins 016.webp
    coins 016.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 425
  • coins 014.webp
    coins 014.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 411
  • coins 015.webp
    coins 015.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 459
  • coins 015.webp
    coins 015.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 424
  • coins 016.webp
    coins 016.webp
    17 KB · Views: 416
Not real sure about this, but here's my WAG.

It's supposed to represent a pine cone, and was attached to a ribbon that dangled from a bar pin. Possible some lodge or some other organization.

Hope you are able to find out on this one.
 
Upvote 0
It does look like a pine cone once you guys said that, but I'm curious to how it was attached or what it was attached to, as it does not have your typical pin backing. :icon_scratch: My first thought was pin, but there is no pin. Then I figured it had to be attached to something, but it is definately hand crafted, and quite unique. Most likely decor of some sort, probably made locally (custom made if you will).

I'm just surprised that it had no marking on it. I still have to take a lupe and double check. Is it possible that it's silver, just not marked?
 
Upvote 0
An interesting piece alright :thumbsup:
I notice the 'pin' is attached by a different method at each end - 'over and under'. I wonder if that is significant :icon_scratch:
My guess is Silver :icon_sunny:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Someone said it might be Victorian Era silver. Anyone have an idea?
 
Upvote 0
From the back this most likely was part of a bead necklace item. If you can get back to were it was found look for beads were you found it. It apears that the back would allow one to tie the bead string to it.
 
Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
From the back this most likely was part of a bead necklace item. If you can get back to were it was found look for beads were you found it. It apears that the back would allow one to tie the bead string to it.

I think you're right. I can see it being part of a beeded necklace or something. I wish i would've found something more to confirm that though. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom