Silver Nugget?

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what I found yesterday. I do not want to say where I found it [here in Michigan] until I know more about it. It makes the highest pitch sound and pegs the sensitivity meter [past 10] on my cheap VLF KellyCo. detector. I put ice on it and it started melting immediately [1 to 2 seconds]. The next question is... Is this a "natural" nugget or a man-made object nuggetized by melting, and the ravages of time and mother nature? The matte effect is where I tried to smash it between two rocks to see if it was just a rock or painted rock. As you can tell I am a rookie at silver identification. It weighs 5 grams.

DSC_0004%201_zpso3kxgxl7.jpg
DSC_0005%201_zpsgt3q3uji.jpg
DSC_0006%201_zpslr1eermr.jpg
DSC_0007%201_zpscv63yxbt.jpg
DSC_0008%201_zpshuqb1umv.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find blobs of aluminum that look a lot like your nugget quite often. Found a couple today at lunch at an old farm homesite, rings up nice and high. Old camp fires, beer can thrown in equals nuggets of aluminum in the ground.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a blob of melted metal from a fire. Probably a can.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver acid tester kit ? ebay sells them for under $10

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto. I find these a lot too. Aluminum or lead blobs. Very commonly mistaken for a "nugget" of silver

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it's heavy enough to be silver, but congrats on your find. A silver quarter weighs over 6 grams and it looks like you have more mass there than a quarter.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Bud light nugget"

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the melted aluminum blob camp on this one. One of the worst freakin' targets EVER! Rings like a MORGAN DOLLAR and all you get is a piece of melted crap. Aluminum is the work of SATAN!:evil4:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally, I would be in the Ali shout. But this one has a small chance. Might be worth testing.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a lot of these while living in SW Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan. A friend of mine from work who walked the beach (no detector) for indian beads found a few Palladium rocks. They look very similar to what you have pictured. I have a plastic tupperware container full of these and when I showed them to him he thought I was sitting on a landmine. I think they're melted aluminum and haven't seen anyone, but still have them.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The flat side in photo 1+2 makes it lean towards the melted alum. blob. Simple test rub it with your thumb and then smell the mark left on the skin. Sulphur then it's looking like silver.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree melted Aluminum Ya never know though so if you have a doubt and it melted ice right away have it checked. The VDI readout on your garrett should be worlds apart aluminum vs silver. I hope your on to something great!!!!!!!

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a stone counter top drop it onto it from about a foot. Silver, nice crisp tingling sound. Aluminum, not so much

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the melted aluminum blob camp on this one. One of the worst freakin' targets EVER! Rings like a MORGAN DOLLAR and all you get is a piece of melted crap. Aluminum is the work of SATAN!:evil4:

Historical it wasn't that long ago when aluminum was more valuable than gold. If that were true today, every metal detectorist would be rich beyond their wildest dreams.

OP
OP
MichiganMan

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are correct: "... the work of satan" :BangHead: The first thought that came into my head was "It's a decoy" because your mind is set on one thing... and then The Big Letdown. It's aluminum. I found it in the water about 20 feet out, a foot and a half deep. I thought for SURE it was silver. Aluminum campfire-melt never even entered my mind... although it should have because I know better.
Also, it "feels" like aluminum because it's not as dense as silver "feels". A quarter weighs 6 grams and this blob weighed 5. If it was silver it would have surely weighed more. I even compared it to raw silver pictures from Alaska and it is close, really close. I will save it and test it later on to be sure because a decoy possesses [almost] all the qualities of the real thing... so much so that it fools you.
Also, I checked the Michigan Mineral [by County] map and there was no silver in this county or the ones around it, but there was gold, goethite, quartz and anhydrite. The closest silver was in the Upper Peninsula.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread