Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver of plastic, diamonds of glass, 14 K !...Na it's trash : (

I was gonna to post this Sunday but daughter's Wi Fi isn't working.
In the drizzly Sunday, I hit a new tot lot, first thing I see a big bright shinny coin....plastic! :tongue3: The usual clad turns up and then a solid nickel signal, out if the wood chip comes a stone studded earring part, kinda hefty so my silver hopes are high.
I moved on to a sports field, not much but clad, then a solid loud nickel reading digging down out pops part of a chain, silver & gold color! "Oh boy!" I thought. Digging the rest out it's a bracelet! Don't have my reading glasses so I can't see what's stamped on it.

I dropped the bracelet in some lemon juice while I find my glasses. When I pull it out it isn't shinny gold color it should be. :icon_scratch: the weight is kinda light for it's size too. Taking a look at the clasp....."14 K Italy" .....ya, I don't think so, :BangHead:

I wonder if Italy has filed suit against these makers of fake gold jewelry for besmirching their good name? The earring wasn't silver either and has glass stones.

My silver and gold for the day was the deer I saw walking across the road, the 20 geese feeding in the field, and an enjoyable day out detecting. The hunt goes on!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 10

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It do sound like you have your priorities correct. :)

I'd say that was a fine outing!

Oh and about the Italian gold? You just need to learn the true markings there.

If it's a real Italiano, it'll say 14-a-K! ;)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and about the Italian gold? You just need to learn the true markings there.

If it's a real Italiano, it'll say 14-a-K! ;)

Seriously? Or is that a joke. I've not heard that... *runs off to do a google search...*

EDIT: Post google search..> not. THey'll have things marked 585 AG (gold), but I couldn't find anything noted for 14 A K. Italian law allows 14K a carat stamp only for exported jewelry, otherwise all Italian jewelry is required to also have a makers mark. The stamps may include 14K (especially if made before 1968)... So... Lots of counterfeit out there... but there can be legit 14K stamps.

A basic quick search reveals a lot of these fakes are coming from Turkey. A quick search on eBay revealed an astounding amount of jewelry from Turkey severely underpriced (both Sterling and "gold"). I strongly suspect like the garbage coming out of China (and not everything that comes from China is garbage), that there's a lot of junk jewelry branded badly.

Crooks are bad people.

Skippy

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impressed with the title of this post, kind of like a conjuring in a fairy tale! Let not your heart be troubled, where there is trash, so there is cash, and a possible jewelry stash...:laughing7:

Are you: (1) Getting up really close to the playground equipment?
(2) Getting-sometimes crawling- under the playground equipment?
(3) Swinging a 10 foot path around the outer edge of the tot lot in the grass?
(4) Swinging under the closest shade trees and/or shade structures to the tot lot?

If you practice these proven principals and mail $100.00 in unmarked bills to Sub, I guarantee you will find precious metal jewelry in the tot lots...8-)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very nice pile of clad though. I have several of 14k fakers myself. It is just so annoying.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure got a work out when you visited natures beauty. Man that's a lot of plugs. I'd love to come home with that many coins in a day. :hello2:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND -:laughing7: 14-a-K huh, what does that translate to in detector? I love detecting, truly enjoyed my time out searching. I trust the detector more than the markings on the jewelry. Nickel reading was fine but a little too strong, and the weight of the bracelet was not there. :dontknow:

Skippy- I'm sure you weren't the only one running to google that one! Thank you for all the info on it. That's what I love about my detector, it gives me the first clue when something's just not right. :icon_scratch:

Sub- Thank you! I try to put a little light on the dark side.
Nice rhyme by the way! Thank you for the info, now about the unmarked bills, is crayon ok? :laughing7:

Thrifty- fun it was, and somebody's got to clean up all those littered coins! With detecting it's always the thrill of the unexpected, it's one of the joys. :headbang:

Susan-I was surprised there weren't more pennies, but no complaints. The unbelievable amount of good stuff out there, is mind blowing....the hunt goes on! :treasurechest:

Loco- most schools have lost lunch money AKA: quarters & dimes. Depending on where I'm hunting I maybe lucky to score anything more than zinc. Once I came home from the beach with tons of bottle caps and "half" a zinc! :tongue3: :laughing7:

Thanks all, for the kind words, wisdom, and laughs. The detector and I are planning the next search for the gold! Best of luck to everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions