Silver Pick or Needle or ???

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Found these interesting items yesterday.

Gold rush era buckle and old bullet. Maybe someone wanted the powder out of that shell for something. That would be a bit of a dangerous endeavor!

My question is what could that silvery thing be. Seems too delicate to be a horse hoof cleaning pick. Too impractical for jewelry. Needle for leather or saddles? I'm stumped! It's about 3 1/2 inches long. No identifying marks. I'm assuming it's from the 1850's - 1860's.

Attachments

• brt buckle.jpg
    brt buckle.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 83

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these interesting items yesterday.

Gold rush era buckle and old bullet. Maybe someone wanted the powder out of that shell for something. That would be a bit of a dangerous endeavor!

My question is what could that silvery thing be. Seems too delicate to be a horse hoof cleaning pick. Too impractical for jewelry. Needle for leather or saddles? I'm stumped! It's about 3 1/2 inches long. No identifying marks. I'm assuming it's from the 1850's - 1860's.

maybe a hat pin or hair pin? the rings on it throw me off though so I'm not really sure at all.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I believe you discovered a silver toothpick! It appears as though it was part of a delicate set of silver toiletry tools, so there is probably a silver fingernail cleaner, tweezers, or other similar items lost in the vicinity of where the pick was found. Hopefully you will go back soon and see if more pieces are in the area!

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes black powder was used to cauterize a severe wound. If the crimp was too tight to remove the bullet one might bore a hole in the side of a cartridge case to get the powder out. If someone you care about is bleeding to death you wouldn't even hesitate.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick pin. Sometimes they came in pairs that were chained together, or singly with a safety chain and clip.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also think silver tooth pick. They were the IN thing during the Victorian Period.
Great find, I believe you discovered a silver toothpick! It appears as though it was part of a delicate set of silver toiletry tools, so there is probably a silver fingernail cleaner, tweezers, or other similar items lost in the vicinity of where the pick was found. Hopefully you will go back soon and see if more pieces are in the area!

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing stuff thats one heck of a tooth pick lol

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Your silver "pick" is likely part of a Chatelaine missing the ear spoon and tweezers.
Similar to these....

Attachments

• Chatelaine set.jpg
    Chatelaine set.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Ear wax spoon set.jpg
    Ear wax spoon set.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions