Texasgopher said:
jim4silver said:
Not a proof from the way it looks in the picture. They also made S coins that were mint strikes in 1976 that are silver (40 percent) but were not proofs. They had S proofs as well that were 40 percent that year. I have found both kinds and from the picture yours does not look like the proof one.
Still a great find though.
Jim
Huh....I'll have to check my red book. Shoulda done that first i guess. I saw the "S" and assumed proof. Are they %90 silver though? Cause this one has a pure silver edge, not even a hint of copper or that weird grey color some have. I will check my book. Thanks for the correction if I'm wrong. I honestly didn't mean to mislead any body.
TG
TG,
Didn't think you were trying to mislead anybody. I just wanted to give you accurate info. Also, they were only 40%. 90% proofs did not start coming out until 1992. Sometimes 40% halves (such as the 65-70 years) will have rims that appear bright silver and seem to be 90% but that is just the way they "toned" over time.
1976 was a crazy year for Kennedy halfs. There are S Proof coins that are not silver, S Proof coins that are 40% silver, and S mintage coins (regular strike) that are 40% silver.
I believe the Mint came out with some different sets of coins they sold to commemorate the bicentennial year.
Jim