Silver [silver] dollar

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son Found this while diving in a lake here on Vancouver Island.. It is a first for me.. I have found US silver dollars... in fact 3 of them over the years... This is the first Canuck silver buck

I have seen found personally..

As a brief aside.. It
Img_3357.jpg
is sometimes called a 'death dollar' up here due to the symbolism on the totem pole.

Micheal

Upvote 33

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I wish we had silver dollars in 1958. Very cool centennial find indeed.
BTW, I have 3 dug morgans; 1887o, 1891 and 1900o. Looking for #4 and hope its got lotsa friends!
Thanks for the post.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son Found this while diving in a lake here on Vancouver Island.. It is a first for me.. I have found US silver dollars... in fact 3 of them over the years... This is the first Canuck silver buck

As a brief aside.. It View attachment 2047487 is sometimes called a 'death dollar' up here due to the symbolism on the totem pole.

Micheal
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a brief aside.. It View attachment 2047487 is sometimes called a 'death dollar' up here due to the symbolism on the totem pole.

Micheal
Nice! You got a little more info on the totem story sounds interesting.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure. Was your son using a metal detector while diving ?

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure. Was your son using a metal detector while diving ?
Although we have a few underwater machines, Gare, this was found while using an underwater scooter.

We take them, and rather than use them to pull us along, we put the nose to our chest and use them to blow away the layers of mud and silt.

We have had an incredible year so far...and this area is about the size of the average living room..

Many thanks

I like your quote at the bottom too.

We have the same issues with our horses at times

Micheal

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a GREAT IDEA with the scooter !!! How long does it take before you can see ?I don't suppose you have any videos of doing this ?
Are ypou on Facebook ?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Micheal
I think that is the first Canadian silver dollar I've seen...when you first called it a death dollar...my first inkling was that it had something to do with taxes in Canada :). Just a great find!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

Micheal
Great looking coin 👍

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a GREAT IDEA with the scooter !!! How long does it take before you can see ?I don't suppose you have any videos of doing this ?
Are ypou on Facebook ?
Hello Gare;

First; I am not on facebook.. Never have been in fact.. I just do not have the time for it..
The farm takes up a lot of time; And when I am not doing the chores, [feeding, fencing cleaning, etc, etc, etc.,
I want to be able to go diving or detecting...My sister cured me of joining when she showed me her posts she makes on FB.. 'This is what I had for lunch, etc.. Too much for me.

As to the scooter. Depending on the bottom, it can take anywhere for a few seconds to 4 or 5 minutes to get suitable visibility.. You can expedite that by blowing the silt away from the bottom, and then using the scoot to blow the silt laden water away... It takes a bit of practice to get it down pat, and each lake has its' own quirks.. But you learn them pretty quickly.

If you do opt to go for this, I would suggest that you purchase a decent unit.. I have 3 different ones I use.. blacktip, a torpedo and a bladefish.. Each has different characteristics that makes one better than another in certain circumstances.. If I had to choose only one, I would go for the blacktip.. It has more versatility, easier to maintain, and lasts longer on Dewalt batteries.

dive_xtras_black_tip_tech_ocean_quest_vancouver_canada-scaled.jpg
innovative-scuba-concepts-bladefish-5000.jpg
Torpedo_2500.jpg

When you do this, you never direct the flow straight into the bottom silt.. It is like a bomb went off.. You use it to waft the silt away.. so at a very shallow angle.. this moves the silt out of your visual area.

Last thing.. No.. I have not done the videos.. The visibility is just too poor when you first blow.. It gets much better after that initial layer is gone.

Sorry for the length of this.. I hope it helps

Micheal

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION :) iT WAS NOT TO LONG BUT VERY INFORMATIVE :) Do you know a good place i can purchase the unit you said i should get ?

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION :) iT WAS NOT TO LONG BUT VERY INFORMATIVE :) Do you know a good place i can purchase the unit you said i should get ?
You appear to be in Ohio... There seems to be several scuba shops in your area.. and all have decent reviews.

This is the website I found for the blacktip. There appears to be a dealer in Rittman. Not certain if they are close or not.
If not, contact the website.. they might be able to sell you a unit online..

If you get one, you will have to purchase the batteries.. They take a standard 20 volt Dewalt.. I got a set [the unit takes 2] of 10 ah.. 9 is more than adequate.. It is just that the 10s were on sale cheaper than the 9s.

But a decent lakes hunting will pay for the unit in spades..

Just a few more items I found this season.

Img_3361.jpg
Img_3391.jpg
Img_3430.jpg

Micheal

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Micheal
Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread