Silver: Some Like it Big, Some Like it Small. I Got Both Today.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I’ve been in research mode lately trying to track down some new sites and finally stumbled on something.

This spot was a popular beach destination in the mid-1900s but petered out from there and is largely forgotten about. I tracked it down in a history book and wanted to see for myself.

It’s only about 100 yards from a site I’ve had no success at during multiple outings in the past, but I had a hunch this would be different. I got up far earlier than I wanted to in order to maximize my time at low tide and I’m glad I did.

My first coin at the site was a wheatie. I gridded that area for a while and only got clad. I went the other direction and was getting a solid 12-48 at 2 inches. I know this is a half dollar signal but I’ve learned not to trust signals on the beach. Too often a signal like that is a large copper fitting, but not this time!

I popped a big coin out in the early morning light and couldn’t confirm the coin immediately. After a rinse I saw Ben’s big, bald head. Pretty awesome to get this only 30 minutes into the outing! It also breaks a weird streak I was on. My last 20 silver coins have all been dimes (with the exception of one war nickel). That makes this my first big silver in nearly 3 months.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564252884.385577.jpg

I got some other goodies including a ‘44 Merc, ‘42 and ‘46 Nickels (not silver [emoji53]) and 4 wheats.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564252964.336458.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564252989.670721.jpg

Not much left at that little site but I’m glad I tracked it down!

Good luck out there folks and happy hunting.
-W

Upvote 27

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that's some ugly stuff there!

But ain't they sweet ???

Time to get that tumbler going!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!Bucket Lister!!!! Sweet!!!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Congrats. Andres pencils might help with the cleaning process. Good luck.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be too sure about there not being much left there. I worked a 200 yard strip of beach and found a bunch of coins dating from the 20's through the 50's, including my first (and only) Franklin half dollar and Walking Liberty half. Hit it again around the peak minus tide and you'll find that the tides shift the sands, and the targets. You'll find stuff in areas where there wasn't a signal before and vice versa. Excellent job on the research and congrats on the results!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoooo dem show is ugly!!! I got big silver out of salt water, not a pretty sight, but it’s yours

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although they look bad, at least you can identify the coins. Nice finds.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I wouldn't be too sure about there not being much left there. I worked a 200 yard strip of beach and found a bunch of coins dating from the 20's through the 50's, including my first (and only) Franklin half dollar and Walking Liberty half. Hit it again around the peak minus tide and you'll find that the tides shift the sands, and the targets. You'll find stuff in areas where there wasn't a signal before and vice versa. Excellent job on the research and congrats on the results!

Thank you! I went back for an hour today but didn’t get any more old coins. Hopefully it will shift around by the time I check it again next year!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice, both of us had similar finds with the half dollar and silver dime. Way to go! Love that unique tone silver has when it comes out of near or in the water!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pile of coins my friend research pays off

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wash that salt water did a number on them coins but silver is silver congrats man...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread