What's new

Silver Spoon ID

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,371
Reaction score
1,074
Golden Thread
0
Location
Largo, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was cleaning some of my "junk pouch" finds, when I noticed that this spoon might be sterling. It was found in an area with lots of fire pit stuff, all pretty toastie when dug. Photo pbrobaly won't help too much, but from what I can read on the spoon is as follows:
pat May2, 99..., and what appears to be a small iron cross, next to WR, followed by possibly? a crown. Thinking William Rogers, but what do I know. Any help would be appreciated,
Carl
 

Attachments

  • Silver Spoon.webp
    Silver Spoon.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,051
Say what?

I keep rubbing my eyes but I can't read the stuff. What does it say?

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
With all the pitting on the handle, I would think it would be obvious if it was plated. I vote silver just by looking at it. No idea from the markings though.
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Say what?

I keep rubbing my eyes but I can't read the stuff. What does it say?

Daryl

Sooo, it's not, just my eyes 8)

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, will check that site out. Yeah, the photo is blurry, but I scanned it at 1200 dpi, and at 200%, and it still came out looking the way you see it. Where it's been burnt it still looks like silver, but not seeing "sterling" has me confused. More than usual. Blacksheep's post shows the +WR shield, so that's a good lead.
 
Upvote 0
Just some information about using a scanner to scan an object. It is meant to scan objects - like photographs or paper - that are flat on the glass. If your object doesn't touch the glass, it doesn't take much distance off the glass to be out of focus. The dpi or magnification won't change anything. If it is too far from the surface of the glass, it just won't be in focus.

Not much you can do about it.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Checked the silverware site, and found the identical markings. Not much info to go with it, so I'm back to square one. May have to look through all the patterns available. Do love the research though.
 

Attachments

  • 561rogers.webp
    561rogers.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 7,873
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom