Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh boy! :headbang: Fur trade Ohio is proving to be lethal. You have a very special site here, Swartzie. I would sift the dirt. You must get every artifact out of that 18th century soil. :headbang:

Kirk

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice. Trade silver is a very nice find. :icon_thumleft: especially a piece that small at that depth.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool tinkler. I found a similar one on a colonial site in SW PA where a local Indian Chief (Guyasuta) and his entourage are known to have camped on their way to Philadelphia for treaty talks. I think yours is nicer though.

Attachments

• Tinkler.jpg
    Tinkler.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 713

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
hey Swartzie what makes you think thats a tinkler and not an aglet for a leather cord or twine ??? the reason i asked is because i've been metal detecting for and Indian museum and archaeologists (for a couple of years now) who are doing a 1637 battle site and we have come across similar items that they determined as aglets . i would just be curious to hear where you got that info is all .

thanks
Dan

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
leddel said:
hey Swartzie what makes you think thats a tinkler and not an aglet for a leather cord or twine ??? the reason i asked is because i've been metal detecting for and Indian museum and archaeologists (for a couple of years now) who are doing a 1637 battle site and we have come across similar items that they determined as aglets . i would just be curious to hear where you got that info is all .

thanks
Dan

That's the only thing I recognized it as. I have seen tinkle cones in local museums and in books and my recovery looked similar. So, I assumed it was a cone. Never heard of an aglet. But, now that you have shared your information it makes me wonder.

-Swartzie

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Del!! please get us a photo of what you are talking about and post it here. look in the encyclopedia on your PC. it will tell you a tinkler is a ornament on native amercian clothing, a lot of them at a time, they were a noise maker so tinkler. the aslet is the plastic end on your shoe laces. o well you said they were arches. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread