Silver Umax on the Beach

leafster99

Jr. Member
Jan 7, 2011
31
1
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI, I'm going to South Carolina with my new Silver Umax. I will be using the stock coil since I can't afford another one right now. Any tips as to whether i should stay away from wet sand, lower sensitivity, where i should set discrimination at? I've only hunted up here in Canada on the frozen tundra so far, so the beach trip will be a whole new monster for me. :help:
 

hugepossum

Jr. Member
Jan 26, 2009
20
0
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero ; Discovery TF-900
I know my Vaquero went fairly nuts when I used it to hunt on the beach a few times. It did much better when I stayed out of the really wet sand. In the wet sand I was getting like 3-4 inches whereas up the beach from the water I was getting more like the normal 8 or more.

I only ended up with some clad. Newer pennies are absolutely destroyed by the salt water. It must only take a short period of time for them to corrode into an unrecognizable shape. It is kind of cool looking.
 

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
13,398
3,992
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

You should have no trouble in the dry sand and if you do have trouble with strange beeps, look around you for someone else using a pulse detector. They usually don't hunt well together. Depending on the beach you might be able to hunt the wet with reduced sens.

Since retrieving targets in the sand is easy, hunt with zero disc. If this makes you nervous, don't turn it up past foil. Lots of hunters disc out tabs and they miss out on 90% of the gold rings with the other 10% being in the foil range. Save all your trash so nobody has to dig it again later.

Good Luck,
Sandman
 
OP
leafster99

leafster99

Jr. Member
Jan 7, 2011
31
1
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #4
Thank you for the tips. I hope to make a video of my hunt. Also, the beach is heavy with (breakwalls?) I was always finding sharks teeth near the walls or up high on the beach. Might I assume coins and jewellry be in similar areas, rather than the sandy sand. I've watched tons of video, but it seems like the answer often begins with "it depends,..." These might seem like dumb questions, but this is the kind of digging I'm used to. Sorry about the length.

 

Olegrumpy

Full Member
Apr 28, 2009
132
47
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

Speaking about "breakwalls", depending of the beaches you hunt, there are pretty good chances for jewelry at both sides of them, at the place they "vanish" in the dry sand, and this from the beginning of the "damp" sand to the dryer part.

Rough sea pushes finds over the breakwalls, where they will come to rest in the sand.

You should be able to hunt "damp" sands with not too much trouble, except reducing sens.

HH
 
OP
leafster99

leafster99

Jr. Member
Jan 7, 2011
31
1
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
Follow up on my vacation...

I went out Metal Detecting almost every day with gorgeous weather. I was able to find coins everywhere on the beach up to the surf, but none in the water. I had most luck around the beach access entryways and at the top of the beach where high tide rests. I was able to crank the sensitivity to full at this level during low tide and as long as I swung the Umax at a very slow speed, I could dig coins out from about 10 inches down. I think i was pushing some down while I was scooping, but I managed to improve my pinpointing considerably as the week wore on. The secret was going slowly though and listening carefully for solid tones. I even found on silver ring amongst all the beer caps and pull tabs.
 

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top