Silver war nickel and then Gold?

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another morning at the pounded park. I've been doing well on nickels there. Found a couple of "V" nickels, a Buffalo and a keen mercury dime in this particular strip of higher ground near one of the busiest intersections in my city. It has several real old and impressively tall pine trees growing out of it. I found the war nickel (my second to date) and was feeling pretty good about it. A little later I got a deep 28 tone on my Legend, which is NOT a typically exciting number for me, but for whatever reason the nickels I've been finding will present a 27 or 28 number on occasion...so I dug it.
Among the countless cars, sitting at the stop light, ten feet away with their radios blasting and thumping, I could only hear my heart beating when I read the inside of the band....pretty sure it's not solid gold but my excitement was real.🥴. While a magnet doesn't attract and the color doesn't change whilst scratching deeply into the inside of the band, rubbing it repeatedly in my hand leaves a blackish streak on my skin so....I have doubts but a fun find! EDIT: I soaked it in vinegar for a couple hours with no change, additionally, its volume weight is nearly exact to the volumetric weight of gold per my scale and an online calculator....I think it's um... REAL! 😀😀😀
IMG_20240506_135103.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It hit like a nickel and as no green on it. Other than thae little dark spot on the top part of the band in a line with the G in "gold" in your pic, it looks pretty darn good from my view!
In 2015 I had my best war nickel year ever and dug 15 of them.
Grats on #2 and I think you have a winner on the ring but do let us know for sure.

OP
OP
BLACKIE555

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hit like a nickel and as no green on it. Other than thae little dark spot on the top part of the band in a line with the G in "gold" in your pic, it looks pretty darn good from my view!
In 2015 I had my best war nickel year ever and dug 15 of them.
Grats on #2 and I think you have a winner on the ring but do let us know for sure.
Hmmm....that discolored spot is a little dent. The ring looks chunky in the pic but it's actually very thin. Edges are very sharp. Deep scratches I put in the inside have not discolored, nor has any part of the ring after an hour in vinegar. So hmmm again!
IMG_20240506_165219.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, that scale's seen some use! :laughing7:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm....that discolored spot is a little dent. The ring looks chunky in the pic but it's actually very thin. Edges are very sharp. Deep scratches I put in the inside have not discolored, nor has any part of the ring after an hour in vinegar. So hmmm again!
View attachment 2147624
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

moemoney

Greenie
Mar 22, 2024
Another morning at the pounded park. I've been doing well on nickels there. Found a couple of "V" nickels, a Buffalo and a keen mercury dime in this particular strip of higher ground near one of the busiest intersections in my city. It has several real old and impressively tall pine trees growing out of it. I found the war nickel (my second to date) and was feeling pretty good about it. A little later I got a deep 28 tone on my Legend, which is NOT a typically exciting number for me, but for whatever reason the nickels I've been finding will present a 27 or 28 number on occasion...so I dug it.
Among the countless cars, sitting at the stop light, ten feet away with their radios blasting and thumping, I could only hear my heart beating when I read the inside of the band....pretty sure it's not solid gold but my excitement was real.🥴. While a magnet doesn't attract and the color doesn't change whilst scratching deeply into the inside of the band, rubbing it repeatedly in my hand leaves a blackish streak on my skin so....I have doubts but a fun find! EDIT: I soaked it in vinegar for a couple hours with no change, additionally, its volume weight is nearly exact to the volumetric weight of gold per my scale and an online calculator....I think it's um... REAL! 😀😀😀
View attachment 2147574
Nice find! In my experience, rings marked "solid gold" are at best 8 karat. Some are gold filled or rolled gold plate, meaning it has a layer of gold as opposed to being electroplated. From the photos I think it will test 8k. Congratulations!

moemoney

Greenie
Mar 22, 2024
View attachment 2147574
I have a touchstone and nitric acid, I could tell you in 5 seconds if it is 8k or gold filled!

moemoney

Greenie
Mar 22, 2024
Lol ..years of mixing epoxy on it in my guitar shop has been rough on the poor thing. But, its still kicking 😀
I have a lifelong friend who's Mother would give him $ to "just get out of the house". He was/is so into music and guitars; he always had to have the latest and greatest. Stratocasters (a burgundy solid body was my favorite), hollow body Gibson electrics, twin reverb amp, lol, that's just what got him started! Talk about treasures! Alas, he always traded for something new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread