What's new

Silver way up...CRHers into hiding?

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is silver's sharp rise causing my fellow board members to think twice about posting results anymore (LJ, Thurm, et al.)? I know you've still got the "bug" but do you think listing finds in now inadvisable and counter-productive? Some have even stopped listing yearly totals in their signatures. Did I miss a meeting? LOL
 
Upvote 0
Don't know Immy? I still post. I found a 1964 Dime today and also my third silver Canadian 1962!
Good Hunting!!!!!!
 
Ummmmm well I think you missed that meeting.

LOL
Cat
 
I've backed off posting my finds. I guess you all know what to expect from this hobby. And there's enough posted in the past for a newbie to know what to expect.

Might need to agree to a secret language in order to feel comfortable sharing again.
 
Hey all,
I use to show my finds, but now I just browse. This forum has grown so quickly and with so many new
people looking for silver, the competition has exploded. I get one to two boxes a week. I used to find between 5-10 per box, sometimes more, but now i'm lucky if I find one. When I go to other banks, the teller always says, "someone just came in and wiped me out". This forum is really cool and I love to see what other people get, but sometimes I wonder if all this advertising is having an effect on how much we are finding. I think alot of the regulars might feel the same way (maybe not). What's everyones opinion on this subject.....
Joe
 
Not long ago I realized that when I post good finds, its only increases motivation for others to start CRHing. Therefore, I have removed all information from my signature and other information about my area and MD totals.

It all comes back to the questions I frequently ask myself and all others should ask themselves as well:
- If there's something that's limited yet so easy to find, why tell others about it?
- Why not keep it a secret if you know its limited?
- Why can't others just find out about it themselves? That's what I had to do.
 
I hardly ever post due to the high volume of members and 'lurkers.' It's going to kill the hobby. No one's fault in particular, but it is inevitable.
 
Doesn't not posting your finds defeat one of the main the purposes of this board? Have your totals been affected that much?
 
I havent been in fertile hunting grounds for close to a year and a half now so not much to contribute from my end. Oh, I cant wait for a larger city!
 
Immy said:
Have your totals been affected that much?

Oddly enough, my finds have actually increased this year compared to last year. But that's fine with me though, I'm not complaining, just not posting my finds except for when I find something good, like a V Nickel.
 
Basically, I don't view posting to this site as broadcasting to wide cross section of the population, but only to the narrow specturm of those interested in treasure hunting of some variety. And of those only the ones that have found this site will actually read anything posted.

I was CRHing off and on for 20 years knowing there were others who did it as well, but with no idea how to find them or talk to them... I searched the internet multiple times without finding this site (or any other good ones for that matter). Part of the fun is the sharing of what you find.

Also CRHing has been around for years and will be around for years to come as old coins enter circulation all the time.

For those reasons I still post everything since if you've already found this forum you most likely have an interest already and the number of people who are likely to try CRHing based on if I do or don't post is not likely to change so why not enjoy sharing knowledge and information with others who also enjoy it.

And I agree that in general old coins are a limited resource, but it's limited enough already that most people won't have/don't have the patience for collecting via CRHing unless they really have an interest and enjoy the hunt. Most of my CRHing costs me money due to gas, car maintenance, and shortages. If I add the time spent CRHing as well and tried to determine my profit it just would not be worth it. If I calculated my hourly rate I am sure it would be less than $1/hour if I was profitable at all.

Codes said:
It all comes back to the questions I frequently ask myself and all others should ask themselves as well:
- If there's something that's limited yet so easy to find, why tell others about it?
- Why not keep it a secret if you know its limited?
- Why can't others just find out about it themselves? That's what I had to do.
Answers:
Part 1) Limited yes, but that by itself will be enough of an ihibitor for most. See above.
Part 2) Its not a secret, people have been doing it for years and years. How do you think the silver disappeared in the first place?
Part 3) If you already found this forum, you already know. See above.

Immy said:
Doesn't not posting your finds defeat one of the main the purposes of this board? Have your totals been affected that much?

IMHO... Yes.


I say post away and let the coins fall where they may.
 
My experience has been that there is more competition. Soon we will see more fees from the banks. To me, it is the mystery that is the hook! There is a very finite number of boxes out there. The more hunters, the more rejects. If I only would have started doing this 5 years ago. I'll bet there are stories from those days enough to make you swoon!!!
 
50centman said:
If I only would have started doing this 5 years ago. I'll bet there are stories from those days enough to make you swoon!!!
Try stories from 6 months ago. It's been down hill since with all the newbies. No posting results or daily finds for me either.
 
Yes and the bank tellers are getting very annoyed with everyone asking for half dollars.

HH
Cat
 
Been awhile since I found anything worth posting- do you really wanna read how many skunks I got last month? HH Mark
 
Cat J said:
Yes and the bank tellers are getting very annoyed with everyone asking for half dollars.

HH
Cat

I have asked the tellers at a few banks I frequent and they said nobody comes asking for halves or at least not often. Even recently. Although I have rarely done halves this year...yet.
 
ME_CO said:
Been awhile since I found anything worth posting- do you really wanna read how many skunks I got last month? HH Mark
Do tell....................
 
I have been posting when I find something, but its hardly worth a post to brag about finding 3 %40s in $5000 in halves.
most of the boxes have been dead here. Of course there is always going to the a few 40%ers and a couple 90s between boxes. But the volume has killed it pretty bad.
It could takes a while for the population of the silver to build back up, But then again, everyone is a CRH now. So its over grazing basically.
I have had better luck with Nickels and diamonds of late. I mean I found a 39D nickel a few days ago. And a couple wars. But again, not really worth posting.

Best finds have been from tellers saving me things, like when a customer comes in with a roll of silver coins.

I dont think people are hiding anything per say, Its just a lot of areas have been, Hunted out.
 
Just haven't had much to report. Last year I noticed when silver was near $15 the finds in my area went way down. Now with Silver above $20, I get more skunk boxes than ever.

Also, changed banks since the CWI boxes I was getting were pretty bad, and then a couple weeks later the "new" bank changed their armored car service. Not only did that take a couple weeks out during the changeover, but now I am right back to the darn CWI boxes.

Last 2 boxes were:
Box 1 - 2x 1967
Box 2 - Skunk

Hope you all are having better results.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom