amxfred
Sr. Member
- Joined
- May 14, 2011
- Messages
- 379
- Reaction score
- 49
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Dekalb, IL
- Detector(s) used
- E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
I was not going to hunt today because I had a lot of yard work and tomorrow my entire family is coming for Easter so I decided two hours is my limit. I went to a local park that has been hunted hundreds of times and decided to set the E-trac on Manual 30. On my second dig I hit a 1962-D Rosie at 8 inches.
Then I dug a couple of clad coins and slowly worked my way towards the back of the park. I was just about to turn back towards the grassy area when my E-Trac went crazy. It was showing 12 inches and screaming like a horror movie.
I started to dig and at 4 inches I hit gravel.
I used my probe and I got nothing.
I decided to dig thru the gravel and see what happens. At 8 inches I hit dirt again and the probe began to scream. Now I was getting excited!
I dug two more inches and I saw silver. I reached down and pulled out a 1903-S Barber quarter, my 40th silver for 2012! It was beautiful and I thought that was it. But I was wrong!!!
The probe was still screaming! I dug down two more inches and as I raised my Lesche I saw something round and the size of a half dollar. To make a long story short it turned out to be an 1863 English Queen Victoria large cent. My oldest coin to date. What it was doing two inches below a 1903 Barber quarter, I have no idea. I guess that is why I love this hobby.
Happy hunting to all!
I started to dig and at 4 inches I hit gravel.
I used my probe and I got nothing.
I decided to dig thru the gravel and see what happens. At 8 inches I hit dirt again and the probe began to scream. Now I was getting excited!
I dug two more inches and I saw silver. I reached down and pulled out a 1903-S Barber quarter, my 40th silver for 2012! It was beautiful and I thought that was it. But I was wrong!!!
The probe was still screaming! I dug down two more inches and as I raised my Lesche I saw something round and the size of a half dollar. To make a long story short it turned out to be an 1863 English Queen Victoria large cent. My oldest coin to date. What it was doing two inches below a 1903 Barber quarter, I have no idea. I guess that is why I love this hobby.
Happy hunting to all!
Last edited:







