What's new

Simon Pure--Tobacco?? Not tobacco--LARD

Charmin

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
2,284
Reaction score
282
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at an estate sale yesterday. I have looked on ebay and all I can find for "Simon Pure" is beer stuff.
The pin says: YOU WANT TO BE SURE TO BUY "SIMON PURE" 100% LEAF.
That "100% Leaf" makes me think this might be a tobacco advertising pin?? Has anyone heard of Simon Pure tobacco? and if so, what years was is produced?
The back of the pin also has the words: Parisian Novelty Co., Chicago.
Thanks for looking and any help you might have!!!
regards~~sandcreek
 

Attachments

  • P1100002.webp
    P1100002.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 473
  • P1090997.webp
    P1090997.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 458
  • P1090998.webp
    P1090998.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 490
Re: Simon Pure--Tobacco??

savant365 said:
Wonder what that "leafy" lard tasted like :snorting: :laughing9:?? That just doesn't sound very appetizing!! Thanks savant365--I'll mark this one solved.
kind regards~~sandcreek
Montana Jim said:
Lottsa Simon Pure beer ads out there too...
Yeah, that's what I thought it was at first--but that "100% Leaf" thing was why I questioned it.
Thanks Montana Jim!

regards~~sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
Could leaf have anything to do with hops? I think it does, you can get pellet form of hops, or leaf form for brewing.

ng
 
Upvote 0
naturegirl said:
Could leaf have anything to do with hops?

ng
Yes, maybe so and see [in the pic.] that little leaf above the word "Be"? Is that a hops leaf?
regards~~sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
What leaf is in lard? :-\
:laughing9: I don't know :dontknow:. Why would anyone put "leaf" in lard? I may have been a little hasty at marking this "solved", Jim.

sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

I sure can't find any pics to go with your button though.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
savant365 said:
The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

I sure can't find any pics to go with your button though.
Jeep said:
I enjoy baking and the best pie crusts are made with lard

Leaf Lard if you can find it.

here is a reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

Here is also a advertisement for Armours Simon Pure Leaf Lard from 1910:
http://books.google.com/books?id=7J...Z_ErXs&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
Well, one thing is for sure--I'm learning about the different kinds of lard!
Thanks again savant365 and Jeep for all the info!!
regards~~sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
I was trying to find a picture similar to the button but I can't find any with a leaf logo or the 100%. So it could be something totally different but at least I can say that I learned more about lard today then I ever wanted to ;D

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
That is why I love this site, I learnsomething new every time I visit. Good job in the I.D.
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
Everything I never wanted to know about lard!
Me too, Rasputin! Makes me think twice before using lard to cook with! That whole "fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loins" kinda grosses me out :tongue3:.
regards~~sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
That was indeed interesting to learn... I'd never heard of such a thing. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom