Single Freq. vs Mult. Freq Detectors

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are close to equal, but the multi freq will respond better to deep targets and id them better. The Safari is the better of the two.

OP
OP
steved34

steved34

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I had a feeling that multi. freq was a better all the way around detector. I had ordered a 705 from Kellyco but then got a email that they were back ordered. That gave me some more time to check around some more and possibly change my order and pay the extra 200$ for the Safari.

Things are sounding good for going multi freq instead.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari is the better of the 2. But ive had those 2 detectors and now use a Whites Dfx i like it better than the Minelabs it seems more responsive to gold jewlry than the safari and the xterras plus it has 2 frequencies 3klhz wich is really good for silver and clad and 15klhz wich is really good for gold jewlry etc. Also the Dfx has a better id system than the Minelabs and can be fully tweaked for the area you are hunti ng. The Only advantage i can see in the Minelabs is depth.

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
They make 4 different frequency coils for the Xterra line, wouldnt this make up for the single frequency detector? other than having to pay extra for the different coils?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
samuel_schumaker said:
They make 4 different frequency coils for the Xterra line, wouldnt this make up for the single frequency detector? other than having to pay extra for the different coils?

Yes but that's quite a cost to add those coils, and have to drag them everywhere if you're not sure where you will hunt that day.

PS... If the Safari is anything like an Explorer then it's a no brainer decision. I look at the Xterra series as mid-line units and the Safari the start of Minelab's higher end. If you get into detecting as much as most others here are, there's a very good chance you will switch detectors in the first two years, or at least experiment some. You might not believe that now but it happens. So my point is buy what feels right and put lots of hours in, and get a sense of what detecting is all about. There's far more to it than just the detector! I wrote that assuming you are new to the hobby, if not, no biggie.

OP
OP
steved34

steved34

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Im not sure of the soil type here in NC...I live an hour south of Raleigh. The extra cost of the Safari does cover the cost of buying addiontal coils for the Xterra so in that way its definitely a better buy if you ever end up buying another coil.....which most people seem to do at some point.

Its starting to sound that if you have more freqs. going into the ground then the greater possiblilty you have at finding things. More trash and more treasure which sounds good to me :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steved34 said:
Im not sure of the soil type here in NC...I live an hour south of Raleigh. The extra cost of the Safari does cover the cost of buying addiontal coils for the Xterra so in that way its definitely a better buy if you ever end up buying another coil.....which most people seem to do at some point.

Its starting to sound that if you have more freqs. going into the ground then the greater possiblilty you have at finding things. More trash and more treasure which sounds good to me :D

No, it's the more you hunt, and better sites you have, is what gives you that greater possibility of finding treasure. The detector is just the tool used to locate it, and most will find the majority of what is to be had.

I'd buy the Safari simply for the fact it has an auto ground balance compared to the manual of the Xterra line. Make sure you are clear on what GB'ing is vs changing freq. with other coils. It kind of sounds like you wrote freq. but ground balance might be more the issue. GB having to do more with the dirt, freq. with the type of metal found. That's a broad description but I am far from a tech. guru.

I think the bottom line is the Xterra lets you customize the detector to like small gold by running a higher freq. coil. Apart from that it's hard to justify it over a Safari. And if small gold was the concern than you might want to switch to something like the MXT.

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
According to everything i have read on Kellyco and Minelabs website, the xterra 705 has auto ground balance

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
samuel_schumaker said:
According to everything i have read on Kellyco and Minelabs website, the xterra 705 has auto ground balance

Here's how it is written.... Bround Balance: Manual (0-90), Auto, Beach, Tracking, Tracking Offset.

I assume that means it has both assuming the tracking is an auto balance like that GTIs. Ok, I'll change my comment to... I'd pic the Safari simply because it has a DD coil. ;D Of course there's far more to it than just the balance or coil.

OP
OP
steved34

steved34

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I was able to change my order and am now getting the Safari instead....just too many more options that come with it that are worth the extra money. The DD Coil, Full Band Spectrum, etc., so I dont see myself ever out growing this system unless i wanted to get a more specific coil down the road for gold.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steved34 said:
I was able to change my order and am now getting the Safari instead....just too many more options that come with it that are worth the extra money. The DD Coil, Full Band Spectrum, etc., so I dont see myself ever out growing this system unless i wanted to get a more specific coil down the road for gold.

If it's similar to the explorer it's accurate target (sound) discrimination at max depth would probably be what I would like best. The detector and stock coil most likely is all you would ever need but many many people can't resist to buy more to try and get a small edge. Fortunately I've been through it all so now 100% of the focus goes into where to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread